Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My first Cast Iron  (Read 2300 times)

clarissa

• WKC Brave
My first Cast Iron
« on: August 15, 2017, 03:55:00 PM »
Today I was in Walmart and bought my first CI piece. Went with the Lodge 10.5" skillet. Already pre-seasoned and I am looking forward to giving it a try. Maybe for breakfast.....a little turkey bacon and eggs. Any advice I need to know about using it?

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: My first Cast Iron
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 04:04:56 PM »
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 04:13:46 PM »
I know they come pre-seasoned but I would get your oven or grill up to 350, rub oil all over the pan and put it in upside down for an hour. Let it cool down completely and do it a few more times. When you oil it use a paper towel to wipe off the excess. You don't want it running down the sides. This will build up your initial seasoning. Then just use the hell out of that pan and buy more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 05:26:01 PM »
Preseasoned...???
Don't count on seasoning good enough to cook eggs for quite some time...

I love my CI pans...Especially on the grill...But the seasoning process is a slow process...Especially with a medium quality pan like Lodge...

And by the way...MOST of my CI is Lodge...Just work with it...It'll do ya fine...

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 05:28:49 PM »
You might also consider getting some flax seed oil for seasoning the pan...Do a search to learn about it...It's worth the money...Flax oil and very high heat will get ya seasoned quicker than conventional methods...

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 05:31:38 PM »
I'm just excited about this being your first cast iron. Have patience and it will be rewarding. I use my cast iron inside and outside all of the time. I know you probably can, but I prefer not to cook any beans or tomatoes in mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

29tx

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 06:21:44 PM »
I'm just excited about this being your first cast iron. Have patience and it will be rewarding. I use my cast iron inside and outside all of the time. I know you probably can, but I prefer not to cook any beans or tomatoes in mine.

Why not beans? I've heard about tomatoes because they're acidic but never anything about beans.

TheKevman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 06:59:33 PM »
I love using my cast iron pans on the grill, especially a small sauce pan I use to warm up barbecue sauce during a low-and-slow cook. The pans take some getting used to, but they're great.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
A man who has an experience is never at the mercy of a man who has just a theory.

Pat G

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2017, 09:14:42 AM »
Use it on the grill, every chance you get.

Or in the WSM.
Performer Deluxe(Copper), 26 Kettle OTG, 22 Kettle OTG, Jumbo Joe, 18WSM, 14WSM, Genesis Gold B(Redhead), Q1200, Charcoal Go Anywhere, Gas Go Anywhere, Kettle Pizza & Vortex, Smoke

Mkrause

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2017, 04:35:13 PM »
I use my cast iron for smash burgers... used to have to scrape them off the pan, now i have a hard time getting them to stick and get a crust... still turn out excellent though! I could probably keep that and a pot and not miss anything else. Don't get discouraged either, it will turn into the pan everyone makes it out to be.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 04:37:31 PM by Mkrause »

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2017, 07:33:27 PM »
@clarissa FORGET ALL THE MYTHS, you can cook ANYTHING in them..  and as for advice on how to use it, USE IT! For ALL your cooking, The only thing I use a regular pot for is when I cook green beans or broccoli..not sure why. LOL
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

Harleysmoker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2017, 08:14:59 PM »
You might also consider getting some flax seed oil for seasoning the pan...Do a search to learn about it...It's worth the money...Flax oil and very high heat will get ya seasoned quicker than conventional methods...

Yes do your research. I have seen both positive and negative things about Flax Seed Oil. When I bought my Lodge set, I washed them and used Crisco Shortening to season my pans 3 times before first use. Read more here,,,,

http://www.castironcollector.com/seasoning.php

clarissa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2017, 03:47:25 AM »
I have coconut, olive, canola and avocado oils here. Which of those would work better?

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2017, 04:36:39 AM »
Out of all those I'd say Canola. I used canola to season my pan. Less is more and you'll be surprised at the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2017, 04:54:27 AM »

Why not beans? I've heard about tomatoes because they're acidic but never anything about beans.

I had one failed bean cook that was completely my fault and not the cast irons but I refuse to accept reality. I now use a rectangular metal pan and it's working really well for beans.