Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cooking with the charcoal baskets; just for indirect?  (Read 1346 times)

Merkong

• WKC Brave
Cooking with the charcoal baskets; just for indirect?
« on: August 15, 2017, 08:12:40 AM »
So I picked up a set of the charcoal baskets the other day so when I do pizzas I can stop beating the sides of my kettle up but began to wonder; What are all the applications for the charcoal baskets? Indirect only and pizzas or more. I do see the baskets touching each other and right underneath the center of the grate.

Anyone have a quick down and dirty?

Ken

Perfect number of kettles is N + 1...

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
"You're hungry? I'll fire up the grills..."

Pat G

• WKC Brave
Re: Cooking with the charcoal baskets; just for indirect?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 08:52:23 AM »
I use mine together in the center, one on each side or a little offset from each other but on the same side.  There isn't a whole lot of combinations and it really depends on what I'm cooking.  The biggest advantage for me is the ability to do a short cook and save the charcoal for another cook.
Performer Deluxe(Copper), 26 Kettle OTG, 22 Kettle OTG, Jumbo Joe, 18WSM, 14WSM, Genesis Gold B(Redhead), Q1200, Charcoal Go Anywhere, Gas Go Anywhere, Kettle Pizza & Vortex, Smoke

Merkong

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 04:45:32 PM »
Nice. I'm going to give that a bid. I'm looking forward to seeing how a chimney of charcoal fills up the baskets.

mistrtj

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 04:51:14 PM »
i use mine in the center, filled with lump coal, fired by my gas assist performer,  to get a very hot fire going for my burgers, I throw prime 80/20 8 ounce burgers on for 3-4 minutes each side and top with cheddar. Awesome char/sear and great flavor,,, juice running down my arms awesome!

Pat G

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 05:42:03 PM »
Nice. I'm going to give that a bid. I'm looking forward to seeing how a chimney of charcoal fills up the baskets.

3/4 of a chimney will fill the baskets completely.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Performer Deluxe(Copper), 26 Kettle OTG, 22 Kettle OTG, Jumbo Joe, 18WSM, 14WSM, Genesis Gold B(Redhead), Q1200, Charcoal Go Anywhere, Gas Go Anywhere, Kettle Pizza & Vortex, Smoke

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 06:22:02 PM »
Charcoal baskets keep the hot coals off the edges of the bowl and prevent crazing. There are several ways to use them efficiently @56mpg has a post out there about modified charcoal baskets that work similarly to the SNS and hold almost a whole chimney worth of charcoal. This is the post: http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/a-bigger-better-basket-case/

WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

deans6571

• WKC Brave
    • Twitter Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 03:55:56 AM »
I use mine as above - put them in the centre of my Master Touch bottom grate but with a gap in between the baskets. I pour my briquettes in (after getting them going in the chimney). and pour 1 or 2 into the gap as well. I then throw in some wood chunks into the gap and use the outer ring of the cooking grate for indirect cooking, when cooking chicken pieces. I do the same for red meat, but at the end of the cook, sear the meat directly over the baskets for a final colouring!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 07:39:11 AM by deans6571 »

Merkong

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 05:56:48 AM »
Thanks!