Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Just bought a used WSM 22 and have a ?  (Read 2435 times)

mdb240

• WKC Brave
Just bought a used WSM 22 and have a ?
« on: August 12, 2017, 04:27:58 PM »
I am rather new to smoking but have been using a cheap brinkman smoker until I got this beast. I knew I wanted this for a long time but didn't have the funds to secure one. I have a few questions...

I just cleaned the bottom out of charcoal and it was wet as I didn't have it covered.  I put the OEM cover on and it had a strap looking thing hanging from the bottom, what is it?

How much charcoal is typically lit at first to get it up to that 225-250 temperature?  I tried the snake method but not sure I put enough charcoal to maintain temp more than 5 hours, any idea?  I started it by putting in a chimney of full coals, not enough?

What's the best way to maintain temp.. start with a ton of lit coals and damper it down to starve oxygen, or smaller amounts of fully lit charcoal and keep replenishing?

Help..

Mkrause

• WKC Brave
Re: Just bought a used WSM 22 and have a ?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 05:19:35 PM »
Congrats on the new toy! My 18 came with a cover that has two elastic bands towards the bottom that hold it snug, maybe one of yours is ripped? As far as the charcoal, again this is only experience with an 18, i pile it up around the sides of the charcoal ring and leave the middle somewhat open and then pour 3/4 chimney of lit coals in the center. The temp goes up quick with all vents open and then i choke it down when it's close to my target and make minor adjustments from there. Again, the 22 may be a whole different beast and I'm no expert yet but it seems to work well for me on the 18. I had mine last a solid 9 hrs. without adding coal, i threw in a couple handfuls at the 9 and 11 hour mark but after 13 hours i still had a lot left.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Dsorgnzd

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 05:24:55 PM »

What's the best way to maintain temp.. start with a ton of lit coals and damper it down to starve oxygen, or smaller amounts of fully lit charcoal and keep replenishing?

Help..

Neither. Start with a full load of unlit coals and add a small amount of lit charcoal - the "Minion Method".  There is a ton of information online about this way of firing your WSM so I won't repeat it here, but basically you get a small, clean-burning fire that slowly progresses through the charcoal pile, allowing you to maintain a low temperature cook for many hours without having to add more fuel.

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 06:17:13 PM »
I have a 22 and I light 15 coals and dump in the middle of a full charcoal ring of unlit charcoal. Keep vents open till it hits 200 and then shut all 3 to a 1/4 . Will keep 225-250 for a while this way

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 06:19:39 PM »
Did yours come with the charcoal ring ?

mdb240

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 06:20:43 PM »
Congrats on the new toy! My 18 came with a cover that has two elastic bands towards the bottom that hold it snug, maybe one of yours is ripped? As far as the charcoal, again this is only experience with an 18, i pile it up around the sides of the charcoal ring and leave the middle somewhat open and then pour 3/4 chimney of lit coals in the center. The temp goes up quick with all vents open and then i choke it down when it's close to my target and make minor adjustments from there. Again, the 22 may be a whole different beast and I'm no expert yet but it seems to work well for me on the 18. I had mine last a solid 9 hrs. without adding coal, i threw in a couple handfuls at the 9 and 11 hour mark but after 13 hours i still had a lot left.

What do the elastic strap's wrap around? I can't figure it out and feel kind of stupid.  I was thinking the legs but that doesn't make sense.

mdb240

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 06:22:15 PM »
Did yours come with the charcoal ring ?

Yeah, I bought it used and the guy upgraded the door and ring to Cajun Bandit. I have the original ring as well. The door I love for the one time I used it.

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2017, 06:23:35 PM »
They strap to the bottom legs . Guess it helps from wind gusts ? I actually have never strapped mine and never has the covers blown off

« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 06:27:18 PM by wessonjb »

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2017, 06:25:47 PM »
Also the 22 is a fuel hog so it needs a lot of charcoal. I usually fill my ring up and make a dimple in the middle for 15 lit . If I'm doing ribs , I use my 18 ring in my 22 to help with fuel. Never tried the snake in a WSM but know guys who did and didn't have great results 

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2017, 08:11:51 PM »
I have a 22 and I light 15 coals and dump in the middle of a full charcoal ring of unlit charcoal. Keep vents open till it hits 200 and then shut all 3 to a 1/4 . Will keep 225-250 for a while this way

This right here is perfect. Same exact way I do it. Don't stress over 225, I usually settle in at 245-260, but even at 300 I get them great results, just cooks a little faster. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2017, 09:23:26 PM »

This is exactly how I do it too with my 18." I also bury 3 fist-sized wood chunks (one by each air vent) in the ring. Minion method works incredibly well.

Mkrause

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2017, 04:40:14 AM »

What do the elastic strap's wrap around? I can't figure it out and feel kind of stupid.  I was thinking the legs but that doesn't make sense.
is this how yours is? I think the idea is just to be able to slip the cover over but still hold tighter at the bottom.

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2017, 03:08:24 PM »
There are very strong advocates for a couple of different methods.  I do a modification of the Minion Method.  I have a over-sized can with both ends cut out.  I think it was a large can of tomato sauce.  But you could use a coffee can or whatever.  I load up my charcoal ring with the empty can inside the ring.  I then put about 15 or so briquettes in a small Weber Chimney.  When those guys are going good, I dump them into the empty can and pull the can out with a pair of pliers.  Keep all the vents wide open until you are getting close to your target, then start closing down the bottom vents.

I also bought a ring for an 18.5" WSM that I use for shorter cooks, like ribs.

I've never tried using a snake in my WSM, but I know that there a proponents.

The main thing is for you to experiment with a couple of methods until you find what you are comfortable doing and gives you a final product that you and your family enjoy.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

mdb240

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2017, 03:24:10 PM »

is this how yours is? I think the idea is just to be able to slip the cover over but still hold tighter at the bottom.

Yes it looks like that but much looser. I guess the elastic just stretched out and it jist kind of hangs there.. below the rest of the cover. I don't think that the cover will be flying off but was curious about it.

As far as cooking goes ,when the cook is done and there is leftover charcoal, will the WSM kill the fire if I close all the vents?  I have kettles that I have been cooking on but am still new to the charcoal thing.. but everyone already calls me for their grilling needs/questions.

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2017, 05:18:58 PM »
If you have a good tight seal, the coals should go out once you close it all up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk