Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Metal handle lid  (Read 1165 times)

Speedster

• WKC Ranger
Metal handle lid
« on: July 25, 2017, 01:41:01 PM »
On Metal handle lid grills, how mucht heat transmits to the metal lid handle? Does it get hot? Yes right!
I know the wooden handle lid don't transmit much heat like the plastic handles do.
Curious to know about these metal handle lid old school

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Webers rule

KevinP

• WKC Brave
Re: Metal handle lid
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 02:01:00 PM »
Speedster,  I have a MLH and there are times that the handle gets hot. There definitely is heat transfer.   Depending on the type of cook, sometimes I can grab the handle without a glove, sometimes I need to put a glove on.  Have yet to burn myself yet....  knock on wood

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 11:54:51 AM »
main reason I traded my 26'r. I always instinctively grabbed it w/o gloved hands and always recoiled
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 03:37:37 PM »
Speedster...

The heat transfer issue is likely the reason they stopped making them that way and switched to wood.

To answer your question of how much heat...enough to burn your hand if that thing is cranking full of coals with all vents wide open.

Take the wooden handle of your kettle and try cooking on it. You'll see what I mean.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 06:48:45 PM »
Metal lid handles get friggin hot. Really friggin hot.  Wood is nice, better than plastic.

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2017, 09:57:58 AM »
I believe it was concern over the hot metal lid handle that inspired George Stephen to invent the glove.
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers