Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: kingsford comp in wsm?  (Read 2272 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
kingsford comp in wsm?
« on: July 27, 2017, 03:04:10 PM »
I picked up some k comp at costco on sale.  not a fire sale but 2 bags for $15.  I was thinking about using it in the wsm or 26er for slow cooks.  I know there are probably several threads on the subject but a quick search didn't turn up a lot.  Anyone have any experience with it?  I know I've used it for grilling in the past but it's been awhile.  I don't think I ever did a long cook with it.

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
Re: kingsford comp in wsm?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 03:25:10 PM »
A lot less ash so you can load up that cooker and go a long time. My last run with it in my 22, I got 15 hours and I didn't even use the full bag. I will admit conditions were perfect. No wind, 80 degrees, no humidity, foil wrapped water pan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 04:56:59 PM »
Thanks!  I was assuming it would be better but wasn't sure. I've only seen 22's in person at ace hardware. It always amazes me how big those things are. They look like there is easily twice the steel compared to an 18". From a material stand point, they look like they are the best bang for the buck at new prices.

I'm surprised those monsters don't hold a whole bag at once.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 05:03:18 PM »
I can fit 20lbs of kingsford in there. Probably more if I get fancy with the stacking.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 09:25:54 PM »
I have yet to try the Comp/Professional in my 18 WSM. My experience in a kettle (22/26) is it burns hotter and faster than KBB/most other briquettes (its great for searing). I still have a bag left from the previous Costco sale.

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 08:03:18 PM »
There was a recent pretty lengthy thread on kcomp in the accessory section.

I switched to kcomp this past year..found it burns more evenly ..hotter when required and longer. 

Using kcomp in my wsm smoking jerky treats yielded surprisingly more even cooking of jerky..noticeable enough ti making jerky a lot easier to smoke.

Stubbs is good too..bit wont be buying more when that stock runs out...im not a fan of the fireworks sparkle show stubbs offers...especially when dumping the chimney

Also fimd stunbs to billow amazing amounts of dense smoke during chimney burn

Grills

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2017, 08:05:07 PM »
The thread on kcomo is back in may? Of this year...apri/may..whenever the last costco sale ran this spring
Grills

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2017, 08:15:09 PM »
Is this what ya'll are talking about?
https://www.kingsford.com/products/professional-charcoal/#TChb2oEU0OjvdmIr.97

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2017, 04:49:03 AM »

Is this what ya'll are talking about?
https://www.kingsford.com/products/professional-charcoal/#TChb2oEU0OjvdmIr.97

I think that's it. My bags look a little different but when I go to kingsford site, I don't see any that look exactly like mine. Maybe a recent package change?

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2017, 05:48:30 AM »
I wouldn't mind trying a bag of that just to kick the tires.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2017, 07:41:06 PM »
I thinknthe pro is diff from kcomp...

I personally wouldnt stress between the 2...

I think kcomp is more readily available and costco has the $5 coupon running on the twinpacks..14.99 post coupon...good deal...

Kcomp easily packs 50% more fuel in their briqs than kblue...less ash and less toxic taste..hotter and more even burn...
Grills

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2017, 04:01:49 AM »
I grabbed 2 bags of LB Kingsford.  It was 5 bucks a bag.  I want to try it next weekend.  Gotta 12 lb Pork Butt for next Sunday.

Anyone use that???

J
Lets just say I have acquired a few Kettles.  Big and small.   Vintage and New...  Some say I have a problem.  I find the Kettle, buy the Kettle, USE the Kettle...No problem...

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2017, 04:33:17 AM »
I don't think I've seen any LB in my area. It's probably around but I haven't come across it.

I'm looking forward to trying the weber coal and the k comp in the wsm.

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2017, 02:04:22 PM »
Kingsford Comp from Costco has been my preferred charcoal in the WSM. This year my local Costco changed to Kingsford Pro, and though it's similar, I don't think it's identical. I haven't used the Pro enough to tell if I like it as much, but it's certainly good enough. Like a lot of us, I stocked up on Weber briquettes from Target, so I'm hoping those work well in the WSM for the foreseeable future.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2017, 03:51:22 PM »
My kingsford bag says professional in big letters on the front and says competition in small letters on the bottom. Given that k comp is missing on kingsford site, I'm guessing the pro is k comp or what has replaced it.