Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Kettle Repair Help  (Read 2053 times)

tb80

• WKC Ranger
Kettle Repair Help
« on: July 23, 2017, 04:00:43 AM »
I have no idea how it happened, but my 26" kettle somehow developed a bad lean. It looks like the leg sockets and bowl are bent and dented. Anyone know how to fix this?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for Blue Mastertouch or Blue Performer. 

Currently have: Performer (Green); 22.5 Mastertouch (Red); 26.75 OTG;  22.5 WSM; 18.5 WSM; Jumbo Joe; SJS (Green Uline); SJG (used for Mini WSM); Blue SS Performer; Blue MBH; Summit

bigssa

• WKC Brave
Re: Kettle Repair Help
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 04:06:46 AM »
I would call Weber customer support. They would probably send you a new bowl if you explain the situation.

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 05:02:46 AM »
I agree. Unless you were trying to roast a 50 pound pig in there or something that shouldn't happen. Their CS is very good. Make sure to go in a register it online if you haven't already. They require that from you.
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 07:28:32 AM »
Have a few drinks last night?

If you put a pipe in the socket I think you can bend it back into position. Gently...

If the kettle is deformed pry on the pipe ,gently, while you tap the inside of the kettle with a rubber hammer.

Preferably you would do this on a soft work bench like wood or plastic, after dismantling the legs and ash system.

Shes going to have some character from now on....

You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

tb80

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 07:37:33 AM »
No drinks. I have no idea what happened. I keep it covered in my garage. I went to pull it out yesterday and it was bent like that.

Currently have: Performer (Green); 22.5 Mastertouch (Red); 26.75 OTG;  22.5 WSM; 18.5 WSM; Jumbo Joe; SJS (Green Uline); SJG (used for Mini WSM); Blue SS Performer; Blue MBH; Summit

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 07:39:44 AM »
Looks like you keep it clean...It'd be black if I had it.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

tb80

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2017, 07:54:15 AM »
I use it weekly but try to take care of it.

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2017, 07:55:24 AM »
You can try the rubber mallet technique if your socket to bowl welds are still good. Bolting the leg socket to the bowl can interfere with the ash sweep, so if the welds are broken or soft you have a problem.
Customer service sent me one in three or four days, after I spent weeks trying to figure out what to do. Now I have an extra bowl for a 26" Performer project, or a fire pit.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

A bunch of black kettles
-JC

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2017, 08:28:19 AM »
I'd just call Weber and they should take care of you. If you don't want the spare bowl someone here could probably use it for mod month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

tb80

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2017, 10:50:51 AM »
I called Weber and they said they had to review photos.  I haven't heard back.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2017, 11:25:51 AM »
Give it some time. They will likely review and take care of you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2017, 11:28:34 AM »
Maybe @Cellar2ful has some CSI skills and can figure how this happened...probly has a special kit for detecting grill marks on car bumpers

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2017, 12:52:39 PM »
Weber replaced my bowl for similar reasons. It wasn't bent like yours, but the spot welds on the leg sockets were giving up, and it was only a couple years old. I think the 26ers are just too big and heavy for the standard triangle base. I used to think Weber needed to make the mini ranch, but the new summit charcoal fits that niche.
Yours looks like it was hit by something or someone. I don't see it starting to lean like that on it's own.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2017, 12:52:58 PM »
Maybe @Cellar2ful has some CSI skills and can figure how this happened...probly has a special kit for detecting grill marks on car bumpers

lol- That was my first thought too Ray.  Not saying that is the cause here but it does look like a "pulled in to close" or a "backed into" injury.  Don't see a lot of damage to two legs like that. One leg yes, usually from being set down or dropped to hard. 
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2017, 12:53:19 PM »
I heard Weber had some issues with their 26r leg sockets being welded in the wrong spot.  This gave it a weird lean before they broke.  Call Weber support.  They should send you a new bowl.
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson