Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Are you a Mutt Maker or a Purist?  (Read 3850 times)

Merkong

• WKC Brave
Are you a Mutt Maker or a Purist?
« on: July 19, 2017, 04:16:47 AM »
I was wondering... How many of the members and enthusiasts are Mutt Makers or straight up enthusiast? Do you have a problem giving something a new coat of paint, swapping out legs, wheels lids etc. or do you search for original parts?

Personally, I've always been somewhat in between  but seemingly much less the purist when it comes to my latest craze, charcoal kettles.

Thoughts?

Ken
"You're hungry? I'll fire up the grills..."

tb80

• WKC Ranger
Re: Are you a Mutt Maker or a Purist?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 04:19:20 AM »
I've been a purist wi h all my grills except one. I put a blue bowl on a gen 2 performer and put the metal table on it. Other than that I have kept my grills relatively stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for Blue Mastertouch or Blue Performer. 

Currently have: Performer (Green); 22.5 Mastertouch (Red); 26.75 OTG;  22.5 WSM; 18.5 WSM; Jumbo Joe; SJS (Green Uline); SJG (used for Mini WSM); Blue SS Performer; Blue MBH; Summit

Lemans

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 04:21:33 AM »
I kinda like to keep my Kettles "OEM" not going to put 2017 wheels on my EE redhead.  But I will put a set of custom handles from Brian on it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can't stop lovin my Weber!!!
2-22 WSM, 22.5 gold, 22.5 MT code EE Red Head ,22.5 AH in Green ,18 silver , Green SSP code EI,Weber Ranch,mini WSM black,4-smokey joes black, lime, copper, crimson Sjg  IQ120 electric 22.5 silver economy 2004..that makes 15. I know WEBERITIS !!

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 04:28:41 AM »
I kinda like to keep my Kettles "OEM" not going to put 2017 wheels on my EE redhead.  But I will put a set of custom handles from Brian on it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I second this. I try to keep my kettles as close to original as I can, handles are an exception.
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 05:28:48 AM »
I'm a believer of.. if it's Weber parts you have permission to customize to your needs. Like custom cars, it reflects your needs and personality.
I think that Non Weber parts need to be used with care as to not take away from the basic function of the grill or due un-restorable damage to a grill.
Things that don't count as mutt maker items are.. Rotisserie, SnS's, CI Grates or anything that is not permanent or causes damage.

That being said.. here is a photo of my baby. 2015.. what did I change ? And is it now a Mutt?

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 08:39:11 AM »
It's case by case for me.
Some grills need to stay true

Sent from my SM-N910V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 09:12:08 AM »
It's case by case for me.
Some grills need to stay true

Sent from my SM-N910V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Definitely case by case for sure.

Lemans

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 09:27:53 AM »
That taco handle!!!!

I can't stop lovin my Weber!!!
2-22 WSM, 22.5 gold, 22.5 MT code EE Red Head ,22.5 AH in Green ,18 silver , Green SSP code EI,Weber Ranch,mini WSM black,4-smokey joes black, lime, copper, crimson Sjg  IQ120 electric 22.5 silver economy 2004..that makes 15. I know WEBERITIS !!

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 09:31:43 AM »
Lol ! What DID I change ? NOT what do YOU want me to change ! Lol

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 09:32:28 AM »
Yes... I'm with the other guys that say case by case.  For example, I added an ash bucket to my L-code redhead and have some exotic handles on some newer kettles. In the alternative, I try to keep my MBHs as stock as possible with the original parts.
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 09:48:49 AM »
I agree 100% case by case. It's sacrilege to even THINK about taking a Glen Blue and adding a 2017 ash pan kit to it or drilling a hole in the lid to add a $3.00 thermometer just because you think it's handy.
Some things are just NOT DONE !

TD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2017, 01:26:29 PM »
I'm a Mutt Maker. I cut the rear handle off a new copper OKP and installed a original lid bale. I like the OK/OTS bowls because they don't have the rear handle. I like they way the the lid slides off the kettle and hangs on the rear of the kettle. I like way the lid doesn't open fully with the older bale in combination with a lid that has a hook, so I can hang it on the bale, if I want it out of the way. Don't like lids without hooks or the new larger bale. I was originally critical of Weber for not making the MT leg/triangle/wheel set available as an upgrade, but have since changed my mind. It just doesn't look right. I bought a NOS Black 22 off CL mainly for the Lid and the wooden handles. A black MT looks killer with them and OKP legs and white wall wheels. I still have the NOS kettle in a Weber box however because pristine daisy wheel kettles are rare, even if they are black. Just my personal preferences. Yes it it a Mutt @vwengguy. It is still a very nice kettle, but I would take one that has not been drilled, all other things being equal.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 01:31:18 PM by TD »

TD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2017, 01:53:00 PM »
My apologies @vwengguy. I thought that was a BBQ Guru port. I see now it is just an attachment for the table. If no permanent changes then, no it is not a Mutt.

kemmons

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 02:02:02 PM »
You know I'll cut anything up yo make more functional for my taste. 

That being said I don't have any classics.  I probably wouldn't mess with something s little more unique.  But I do tend to use done thermos most of the time

JordanW

• WKC Brave
    • Instagram - @bigtroublebbq
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2017, 03:02:26 PM »
Mild Mutt Maker? I typically won't use a kettle unless it has an ash catcher, so I'll add one. Bent leg, replace it with straight. New handles, wheels if need be. Etc, etc.... I buy "just for parts" kettles frequently if they have something I need off of them for another kettle. Often it's a cheaper way to get good parts. My only all original kettle is my Pat Pend MBH Redhead which I do not cook on.