Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: The random observations thread...  (Read 1428 times)

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
The random observations thread...
« on: June 27, 2017, 06:56:08 AM »
A place for random Weber BBQ thoughts that might not really need a whole thread.

Some thoughts about the evolution of what i thought I needed vs what I use.

1)I originally thought I had to only have Performers because the gas assist is so easy.  In reality I really like using the lighter cubes more because I don't care about the burner tubes or if i leave the gas assist on too long if I get distracted.

2)I do love Performers but think the OTP and Lowest level Performer with the fold up metal table are vastly underrated.  You get the nice functionality of the table to set up and hold trays of food but they are light enough to move around or toss in the back of the truck for tailgating.

3) If you are cooking for one or two you can save considerable $ firing up a SJ with how much less charcoal you can use.

4) cheap aluminum foil from the dollar store is super handy and makes clean up a breeze.

5)I haven't used a grill brush once this year and i cook most every day.

6)When I first started it was all about collecting tools and gadgets.   the more I grill, the more simplified everything gets.  A remote therm, and a set of tongs, and charcoal baskets get used most often.

Feel free to toss in your two cents if you just have a recurring random thing that you'd like to share.

Happy grilling fellas.

Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
The random observations thread...
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 10:08:17 AM »
I have a similar grilling philosophy. I like to keep it simple.  I finally got a gas assist after 20 years and find I like the lighter cubes better lol.

I wouldn't mind finding one of those performers with a fold down table. Seems handy and compact. Although my most used kettles do not have any tables.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 10:10:16 AM by HoosierKettle »

Que Tip

• Smokey Joe
Re: The random observations thread...
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 11:16:39 AM »
They sell those performers with the folding table over here in the UK. I also recently got a gas assist and although I haven't used it with a chimney starter yet, I don't think it helps that much, having used fire lighters with my OTP for the last 5 years. Table space is very handy though. I also have a blue performer platinum which I haven't fired up yet. The table is in immaculate condition for its age.

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 12:58:56 PM »
Don't think a chimney helps? How's that?
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

Que Tip

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 01:32:09 PM »
Don't think a chimney helps? How's that?
Sorry....meant the gas assist, not the chimney.

clarissa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 03:59:11 PM »
It is easy to get carried away when you first start to take grilling more seriously. We bought our Weber by chance last year at Lowes. I was tired of gas grills, they are big and heavy and over time just become aggravating for various reasons. We saw the Weber copper kettle and it was on sale and we jumped at the deal.

Then we went thru a period of annoyance with trying to get it lit. We tried those match lighter briquettes, lighter fluid, various starters and lighters.  Then I saw a chimney in the store and it reminded me that my family used one when I was a kid. That has made all the difference between grilling occasionally and on a regular/daily basis like we do now.

So now, every time I go into a store that has BBQ stuff....I  am obsessed to check out what kind of stuff and how much is Weber. Lol

But, thru this forum I am learning that there is more than one way to do most things, and to experiment. I also see that it is not necessary to have it ALL......that just creates a storage problem. Now I think about the practical use of an item and whether it can multi-task.

So I'm learning thru experience .....my own and those in this forum

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 06:27:59 PM »
smaller grills(sj, jj, ga and 18.5) are very underrated. aside from a big honking piece of meat, the smaller grills can be quite capable of cooking for the average family. they have the added benefit of being more portable as well.

Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 06:48:55 PM »
Considering the ranch and 26er... The SJ, JJ and 22's are "smaller grills".
Still need a 22” yellow

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2017, 12:34:48 AM »
I have about 10 bottles of varies rubs and spices that I don't particularly "love" so they always get bumped for the the ones I enjoy yet I haven't brought myself to toss em.

So they sit there staring at me...
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2017, 02:47:49 AM »
I use a Harbor Freight Piezo Ignition Weed Torch to light my kettles, eggs, drums backwoods and la caja china #2. What are these starter cubes and chimneys you speak of?

primarily cook Hot 'n Fast, but not opposed to low 'n slow

use gas, charcoal, lump, pellets and electric smokers - no shame in my game

love rotating meat cooking gadgets and hanging apparatuses for cooking meats

I have 2 rubs that I like that I make from scratch, but still buy commercial rubs

dedicated to the craft
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!