Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Another Basket Case - Introducing the GGB "Gourmet Grate Basket"  (Read 2741 times)

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
Messing with a leftover WSM charcoal ring after a CB upgrade, and a couple charcoal grates from a Smokey Joe, I came up with a better basket to use with the Gourmet Grate. My first version was just the ring cut down to the size of the hole in the GG, but this one is better. Now when I lift the ring out after a cook the spent coals come with it, and I can sift it out to capture the usable coals for next time.

I simply squeezed the ring around a pair of SJ charcoal grates, used one bolt to hold the ring together and used a hose clamp to hold the grates in. (because that's what I had on hand. I really need two, but I had another idea I wanted to try first. See my edit below for the latest.)

Fits just right in the hole, and can be lifted in and out easily.

FYI, two standard baskets hold a decent amount of charcoal:

But I can fit all that, plus another full basket in the GGB:

It's not necessary, but doubling up the grates helps when you use lump, or want to extend the cook without all the small stuff falling through the grate too early:

And yes, the CI insert fits like it should. Imagine the searing heat you could generate with this combo!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 10:35:52 AM by 56MPG »
Retired

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
That's awesome! I still need to make the other version. It's grate to see the comparison of how much charcoal it holds as well. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: Another Basket Case - Introducing the GGB "Gourmet Grate Basket"
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 08:39:39 AM »
That is very cool!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
[emoji848]Grate idea[emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 10:32:57 AM »
Dug a little deeper and came up with a few SS L-brackets that work much better, and allow the grates to drop in easily. Now I can use one or two grates depending on the mood. Screw-heads on the inside actually lock in the grate nicely, but flex enough to let it pop out.

Retired

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 10:57:45 AM »
awesome

i think i have an extra cajun bandit charcoal ring, and those have little charcoal grate hanging notches too
Maybe I can just cut it down to the smokey joe size and TADA

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 11:01:24 AM »
The CB ring is 1/2" taller than the original Weber ring, (which just barely fits under the grate inserts) so unless you cut it down it would not work for that type of cook, but would still be fine for offset cooks like wings etc. I suppose you could just rest the CI grate on top of the ring. Nothing wrong with that unless you're fussy about things fitting like they came from the factory.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 11:10:44 AM by 56MPG »
Retired

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 12:19:24 PM »

Nice work, Marty!

I made one nearly identical in size a couple years back.  Works amazing!

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/a-couple-trials-using-homemade-charcoal-baskets/

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2017, 12:27:04 PM »
I remember that one @MacEggs . Very nice, and looks like it will last a lifetime. More than one way to skin a cat!
Retired

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 12:28:29 PM »
Great job, @56MPG ! ! !

(Now, if only Weber would make a Gourmet Grate for the 26er ! ! ! )

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

pyrade

• Happy Cooker
Great idea!  I was looking for something like that to hold charcoal when using my wok.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
I still need to make one of these with my old 22 WSM ring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kemmons

• WKC Brave
Absolutely awesome.  I've been using the stock size in my 22 for the skillet and other high heat cooks.  I'm gonna have to make one like yours though that's bad ass. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2017, 04:24:17 PM »
Great grate Marty. I have used the charcoal ring from the 22 to protect the walls of a MBH whilst burning a snake.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"