Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Webgar/Traeber hybrid has begun  (Read 3609 times)

nitis

• WKC Brave
Webgar/Traeber hybrid has begun
« on: June 20, 2017, 01:54:54 PM »
Been wanting to do this for quite sometime. Finally made my first cuts today if it wasn't 110 here I would work on fitting it in the frame

I'm using a deep 13 bar genesis box and a pellet pro hopper that I had in a old smoke vault cabinet.

Once I get it all mounted in the frame I'll figure out what or how I'll utilize  flavor bars a diffuser plate and drip tray. I was able to retain the slides for the bottom drop tray

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
2 Genesis A summit Gold B a Performer a homemade cabinet pellet smoker and a big piece of pipe buried in the ground

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
Re: Webgar/Traeber hybrid has begun
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 11:48:24 PM »
Nice.  Looking forward to seeing this build through completion.

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 06:34:57 AM »
I'm not sure how you will get the smoker to hold temp as those gassers aren't air tight.
Please let us know how it goes..
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

nitis

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 07:01:15 AM »
We will see how it goes my expectations aren't real high but I had plenty of parts to give it a whirl

As to the airtight I'm thinking worst case is it won't be as efficient on pellets the old cabinet i used wasn't really air tight and it worked well the pid this uses works great

I missed out on a USA built traeger for $100 the other day so now I'm motivated

2 Genesis A summit Gold B a Performer a homemade cabinet pellet smoker and a big piece of pipe buried in the ground

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 07:15:08 AM »
@nitis
Why not get a drum?  Look for one that you can put a kettle lid on..
Used Traeger go fast. Missed more than a few myself.
The PID is only as good as the smoker itself.
I fear that it will never stay at a low temp or run too hot..
Just too many gaps in there.
How hard would it be to mount to the bottom of a kettle?
You would need to get creative with mounting and supporting that fire box..

nitis

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 07:22:44 AM »
I'm using the original frame for the Genesis I'm having to mod it a little more than I originally thought because I want to mount where the original controls were and retain the left and shelf. Had I done a left hand mount it would have been simple.

Also my intent isn't really for traditional smoking at low temps as the genesis in my opinion isn't really big enough for doing jerky and what not

Maybe it will light a fire under Weber to come out with one.

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 07:43:18 AM »
Clearly there are lots of options that you could have gone with..
I applaud your tenacity to build this, but fear that your example to Weber will fall short of
a motivation for Weber to build one
They already have the WSM and if they do anything it would be to make a pellet attachment for that.
And I believe the aftermarkets have already done that.

Check this out.. @swamprb

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 07:44:30 AM »
@swamprb

Do you have more pics or details of this build? I ahve lots o f questions on that..
AJ

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 08:29:38 AM »
One thing getting lost in the discussion is that Trapper pellet grills are just that iirc, grills.  Didn't they later add a setting for low and slow smokes?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

nitis

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2017, 08:48:58 AM »
I just got started on this yesterday and probably won't touch it until next week as it's too damn hot and I go back to work tomorrow

Not many more details as of now just kinda going on the fly.

The hopper has a handle on it I'm trying to decide if I want to cut it off or remove the rest of the crossmember on the Genesis frame

And there was some serious sarcasm when I mentioned Weber being inspired by my build. I'm still surprised they haven't ventured down this road however I think they're still licking their wounds from the summit charcoal grill

nitis

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2017, 09:01:06 AM »

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2017, 04:37:39 PM »

I missed out on a couple Holland Grills that would have made nice pellet smoker/grills. The Genesis gasser frames would be a platform for it.

https://www.hollandgrill.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/products.detail/prodID/188/index.htm

Some of the original Traeger grills resembled the Weber 1000/Genesis.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Traeger+075&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwij3YKoldDUAhUB6GMKHQ9rDicQsAQIVQ&biw=1476&bih=921#imgrc=ow2Q2Jx4IvuMVM:

Always on the lookout for a CresCor or similar holding cabinet for an upright pellet smoker or a Traeger O75.

I'm happy with the Pellet Poopin' WSM. I used the Cajun Bandit/Pellet Pro Stacker attachment for a few years and it worked great, I just wanted it to be more mobile.

I lowered the steel disc deflector so it sits well below the lower grate. It will actually hold more meat than most pellet grills. I've easily cooked 45lbs of butts in it.

Upgraded to the PID controller and have been very happy with it. Only downside IMO is that its not a true grill-yeah I can get it over 450* but its not a searing machine like some pellet grills. Pellet Pro has the Sear Daddy but it is too large to fit in the 22" bowl. I toyed with the idea to make my own, but the cons outweighed the pros for my style with this cooker.

It is what it is - a great little smoker.

@Heyjude

« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 04:42:32 PM by swamprb »
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2017, 04:54:17 PM »
@swamprb   Thanks! Seems a bit pricey for an ad on, but it looks great in a Genesis or even a  Performer cart.
@nitis   No serious sarcasm, all in good fun.. I really don't think Weber will venture into the pellet market.
It seems quite flooded already.. But, you never know. You may have some quiet rumblings going on at the Weber HQ
Hoping it works out for you!

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2017, 04:59:02 PM »
@swamprb   Thanks! Seems a bit pricey for an ad on, but it looks great in a Genesis or even a  Performer cart.
@nitis   No serious sarcasm, all in good fun.. I really don't think Weber will venture into the pellet market.
It seems quite flooded already.. But, you never know. You may have some quiet rumblings going on at the Weber HQ
Hoping it works out for you!

M'kay!

And Hardees put ribs on a burger!

I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

nitis

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2017, 08:59:30 PM »
I'm very surprised Weber never tried it. Sure it's good to know they have stuck with what they know in great gassers and kettles. However there's so many no names or stand alone a out there rectec Louisiana green mountain you would think a HUGE name like Weber would have no problem pushing their way in or heck even big and merge

I'm just a Weber geek to the bone. I could get a traeger for a smoking deal if I wanted but I can't help but think if I do Weber will drop the hammer soon there afterwards