Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Finally scored an Avocado!!! How to clean a grill pictorial  (Read 2620 times)

MaxBobcat

• WKC Ranger
Re: Finally scored an Avocado!!! How to clean a grill pictorial
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2017, 06:16:56 PM »
Killer Cado!  Nice!

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2017, 06:19:37 PM »
A thumbscrew Cado! Nice find! I'd love to land this version of Cado some day. Congratulations on the score!

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2017, 06:50:29 PM »
Cool grill and great job.
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2017, 06:20:04 AM »
Thanks everyone.  It was one hell of a find.  It is a bit leaky so I'm going to have to spend some time giving the kettle some hugs to try to get it back into round.  It did the job last night for grilled chicken and romaine.  I got a pork shoulder to smoke this weekend, but I think I am going to have to do a test run with a snake setup this week to see if it's too leaky or not to run slow and low.

@YardBurner -  That is exactly who I was talking about.  Thanks!

@Neil_VT00 - Too funny.  I told Holly that I might be able to get it back into shape with a bowling ball and she thought I was crazy.  I showed her your comment last night and she was cracking up.  Although she knows I know what I am talking about when it comes to fixing these grills, especially after her seeing how clean the inside of the kettle was after a quick 1 hour cleanup, I think it was your mentioning a bowling ball that really let her know that I don't mess around or joke about the creative ways of fixing up old kettles!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2017, 07:46:04 AM »
I see some WKC calendar photos happening.  Once I finish the ash pan, legs, triangle and hopefully the wheels I get some high resolution pics of it out by this shed.  Here is the incomplete restore low res pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

james1787

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2017, 07:54:53 AM »
I see some WKC calendar photos happening.  Once I finish the ash pan, legs, triangle and hopefully the wheels I get some high resolution pics of it out by this shed.  Here is the incomplete restore low res pics.

I like this photo!

The Avacado looks great. I hope to find one someday..
Seeking either 56-58 anything or Westerner

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2017, 08:18:42 AM »
Love those last two photos in front of the shed.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2017, 09:02:33 AM »
That's awesome. Congrats!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2017, 09:18:42 AM »
I did a slow and low test run last night using the snake method.  The kettle is out of round and the lid is out of level, but it held temp just fine.  I did put two binder clips on it which resolved the out of level issue.  With both the kettle and the lid being out of whack I fear that if I try to get both of them back into shape I am just going to screw it up even more, so I am going to leave it for now.  Hopefully I won't regret that decision tomorrow or Sunday when I do a pork shoulder.  The bottom vents are pretty loose as well, which for an old grill is probably better than stuck vents, but they seemed to still do their job.  I can probably slide a credit card between the kettle and the vent on two of them without it touching anything.  I am debating removing them so I can really polish them up, but I am not sure if I should do that or leave them alone since the vents and the rivets are still original.

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2017, 04:35:21 AM »
Great thumbscrew find and nice clean up.
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers