Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cleaning OTG after smoking  (Read 4588 times)

SoupDogg77

• Smokey Joe
Re: Cleaning OTG after smoking
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2016, 04:54:06 AM »
I'll definitely take some pics this evening when I get home, not sure why. Should I have it more open when I'm smoking? I usually close it at least half way and possibly more if I'm trying to maintain a low temp like 225

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2016, 05:03:19 AM »
The type and amount of wood used for smoking will also influence how mush gathers at the top vent. I've had times when one strong smoke will easily darken the vent.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

SoupDogg77

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2016, 05:06:23 AM »
It's been only Apple wood and they've been fairly long smokes, a bunch of pork butts and a beef brisket. Usually 3-4 chunks, smaller than fist size each cook. Most cooks have been 8-11 hrs

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2016, 07:28:25 AM »
Should I have it more open when I'm smoking? I usually close it at least half way and possibly more if I'm trying to maintain a low temp like 225

Just my opinion, but 225 is over-rated.  I control the temp with the intakes.
I always smoke with the lid vent wide open …. The cooker will find its sweet spot and it's always hotter than 225.  YMMV
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

SoupDogg77

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2016, 01:26:37 PM »
So I cleaned it as best I could for now, this is what it looked like with the gunk, view from both sides. I tried floss but the kind we have is that plasticky kind and it broke. Scrubbed with soap and water I think I'll need some degreaser to really clean it up.

JoeInTX

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2017, 06:02:02 PM »
I'm resurrecting this old topic as this has also happened to my Kette's top vents.  After just a few smokes, the top vents are very difficult to turn/adjust.  This is the same problem as SoupDogg77 was having.  How can I clean the smoke buildup that's causing my vents to be so hard to adjust? 

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Cleaning OTG after smoking
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2017, 07:00:23 PM »
Not sure what the problem would be. I haven't cleaned my one touch silver after 10 years of heavy use. The vent does become hard to operate with the short tab but one easy trick is to adjust it using your spatula or tongs. Push them against the vent tab or handle or whatever it's called. This is especially handy on grills without the plastic handle thingy.  Plus you don't have to worry about using a glove or hot pad.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2017, 07:02:16 PM »
To add to @HoosierKettle I notice they are easier to turn as the grill heats up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.