Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Removing rusted screws and wingnuts  (Read 4829 times)

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
Removing rusted screws and wingnuts
« on: April 21, 2013, 10:49:27 AM »
Any suggestions? I've WD-40'd them 4 times in the past 24 hours and they will not come off. I want to replace the legs on the red SJ I picked up from Troy. Even used Easy-Off to remove the grill crust and its still a no go.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
Re: Removing rusted screws and wingnuts
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 11:14:38 AM »
Its a hopeless case. Send me that red SJ and I will put it out of its misery.

Those SJ's are brutal. Just how bad did it rust? Did it become part of the bowl?
Any pictures for us to look at? I can give advice, but it depends on how bad it is and how good your skills are.  To start, I suggest to let the WD soak and respray it for a few days.  8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 11:32:28 AM »

There's a product called "ScrewLoose" that I've had much better luck with than WD 40.....

http://www.crcindustries.com/ei/product_detail.aspx?id=03060
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 11:53:17 AM »
Liquid wrench works better than wd-40 for rust penetration. If that fails, you can torch it, and the rust will break down as the metal expands. Be careful with the flame, as prolonged exposure to the porcelain will "blue" the finish. You can also try weakening the nut with dremel cuts and hope you get a clean break from the thread when it snaps. I would bet that the threads on the legs are done for though, but you can always try to clean up the remaining threads with a die. Good luck!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 02:01:05 PM »
Thanks guys...used PB Blaster and one finally came loose, not so much for the other. I'll give it one more blast and then use the Dremel to fix it if I have to.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

DoppelBock

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 02:13:35 PM »
I pretty much use the Dremel when ever I encounter the rusted screw/bolt/nuts that won't come loose.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 03:22:07 PM »
I was gonna say PB Blaster is the best stuff there is....I cracked loose 40 year old rusty bolts on my Texan,  I got every bolt loose and broke none.  I think that stuff is great...
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

ROB_STANG2000

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 06:55:29 AM »
PB Blaster works great hit it a few times and let it set for a day then hit it again.   Heat will also help sometimes.  I use a propane torch to get it cherry red and try to remove it. 
Proud owner of a Lime Green22.5, Red 22.5 silver, Black 22.5 Silver 18.5 custom , two smoky Joes witch one has been converted to a custom smoker,  a Weber Summit Silver, and a UDS.

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 08:35:47 AM »
PB blaster fixed one, dremel fixed the other.