Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cleaning the kettle  (Read 2331 times)

freshme4t

• Smokey Joe
Cleaning the kettle
« on: June 05, 2017, 07:07:06 AM »
My new to me performer was pretty nasty when I got it last week. I followed the official Weber recommendation of using soapy water and a steel wool pad on the inside of the kettle but only got so much of the grime off. I went through a bunch of pads and a good hour of elbow grease just cleaning the inside yet still have plenty of work to do. I was thinking about picking up a cup brush off amazon for a few bucks and throwing it on my 18v cordless driver. If I get a fine brush bristle steel brush and don't apply too much force, is there any risk of damaging the finish?

https://www.amazon.com/Forney-72797-Brush-Crimped-Shank/dp/B00YIZV2V4/

cwestsmokin

• WKC Brave
Re: Cleaning the kettle
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 07:17:05 AM »
Razor blades!!

Cellar2ful

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 07:17:42 AM »
Don't use that on the porcelain lid or bowl. That bell brush can cause damage to your porcelain finish. Use a razor scraper. Just follow the steps in this guide.

http://weberkettleclub.com/weber-grill-restoration-interior-and-exterior-kettle-cleaning/
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Madpap

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 07:39:47 AM »
I tried to scrape with plastic scrapers and wash. Razor blades cut the work in half and do a much better job.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

freshme4t

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 08:11:02 AM »
Don't use that on the porcelain lid or bowl. That bell brush can cause damage to your porcelain finish. Use a razor scraper. Just follow the steps in this guide.

http://weberkettleclub.com/weber-grill-restoration-interior-and-exterior-kettle-cleaning/

Thanks for the guide! This looks promising!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 08:29:35 AM »
What you see here MIGHT be as much as 50 years of hard crusty junk....

Softened w/ apple cider vinegar & a twice around the bowl with a razor scraper at a low angle & it looks like this:

Some of the shit peeled off like sheets of plastic or the like....

Do not chop at it.....stay at a low angle scrape away....take your time...... 8)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 08:44:19 AM »
+2 on the apple cider vinegar!  @1buckie got me to use it, and I've used it ever since in my kettle cleanups...I have found it especially useful in getting gunk off of ash pans. 
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

Joetee

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 10:10:09 AM »
I cleaned my bowl right down to the metal only to find that my intake vent would no longer seal closed because the crude built up and pushed the three wings up. I now just do the normal sweep and let what ever built up alone. To much air means to hot for slow cooks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Cleaning the kettle
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 11:01:06 AM »
If it's going to be cooked on, I don't bother with any more than a quick scrape with a plastic scraper. Put some hot coal in its belly and let er rip. One cook will undo all of your cleaning efforts. And I wouldn't get a wire wheel near my kettles.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 11:03:48 AM by HoosierKettle »

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 11:24:31 AM »
If it's going to be cooked on, I don't bother with any more than a quick scrape with a plastic scraper. Put some hot coal in its belly and let er rip. One cook will undo all of your cleaning efforts. And I wouldn't get a wire wheel near my kettles.

This all day long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2017, 11:25:53 AM »
I am not real big on cleaning just ask the Mrs.
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2017, 06:26:30 PM »
shit apple cider vinager.... using that next time I have 1/4 inch of "seasoning" on the bowl

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2017, 08:59:33 PM »
The good thing about apple cider vinegar is that it won't make you damn near pass out like regular white vin.......I've worked with heavy duty solvents for 45 years & I still hate that shit..... :o
When you start up the kettle, it stinks up for all of a minute or two & then bakes off & there's no smell left.... 8)

@LiquidOcelot   @crowderjd   @freshme4t

@Joetee
Take those vents apart once a year & bend them ever so slightly downward, clean & put back together.....just make sure they set in the right order....they are numbered 1,2,3 but if that's unreadable, just look at how they fit together....# 1 will be the lowest fitting angle if I remember right....
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"