Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Seasoning cast iron in the kettle  (Read 1798 times)

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
Seasoning cast iron in the kettle
« on: June 02, 2017, 08:13:28 PM »
I wrecked the seasoning on a 12 inch Lodge cast iron pan back in the winter so I had to strip it with oven cleaner and resets on in the oven with vegetable shortening. I don't know what step didn't go well but the end result was a grey pan and not the deep black I was expecting. I ended up cooking on it to try and build up the seasoning through use which worked with uneven results as different parts of the pan accumulated seasoning at different rates.

The other night when I did the potatoes with the blade steaks, I had to substitute unsalted butter for the olive oil I normally use.  It was also the first time since reseasoning that it's been in the kettle.  This totally inadvertently did the trick.  I left the pan in the kettle after scooping out all the potatoes and shut the kettle down so it would all cool down together. This evening when I removed the pan and cleaned it under hot water with a Lodge brush, the interior had a beautiful, dark black seasoning on it.  The handle's still grey but I'm not worried about that since it isn't a cooking surface.  I did a quick shortening seasoning on top of that on the stove, then did kettle sweet potatoes the same way with unsalted butter.  Fingers crossed that pan will be seasoned nicely tomorrow when I get it out and clean it up.

If this works, I'll run with it on th couple other pieces of cast iron I have.

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
Re: Seasoning cast iron in the kettle
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 06:27:09 AM »
I have wrecked and then restored many of CI pans over the years...Usually after a high heat treatment with flax seed oil the only thing to do is to start using them...

Sounds like the unsalted butter might be a good way to get em back on track...

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 07:13:08 AM »
I used my griddle on the kettle last night for burgers. Love cast iron and honing my cast iron cleaning and maintenance skills.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

foshizzle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 08:27:15 AM »
Does seasoning the cast iron in the Weber put off any residual foul smell for future cooks? I'm thinking it may be similar to why some people do not like not cooking fish in the Weber.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Seasoning cast iron in the kettle
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 08:51:14 AM »
Does seasoning the cast iron in the Weber put off any residual foul smell for future cooks? I'm thinking it may be similar to why some people do not like not cooking fish in the Weber.

If anything I would say it's the opposite. I can taste the grill on the cast iron a tiny bit next time I cook something on the stove top

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2017, 09:19:52 AM »
I have seasoned CI on the Weber and it never puts off a foul smell either in the grill or the pan itself...

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2017, 09:55:35 AM »
Seasoning on a Weber outside won't set of smoke alarms.  Bonus!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

foshizzle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2017, 10:55:43 AM »

Seasoning on a Weber outside won't set of smoke alarms.  Bonus!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great point!!

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2017, 11:20:16 AM »
I got a new lodge grill pan the other day, I'm just not gonna clean it like ever lol