Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Packer Brisket Question  (Read 1818 times)

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Packer Brisket Question
« on: June 01, 2017, 10:55:21 AM »
So I've done a few packers now and my biggest problem with a brisket believe it or not is slicing it. I'm fine till I get to the point, then I end up with shredded beef. I'd like to separate the flat and point before I smoke it. Has anyone done this and is there any reason why I shouldn't do it?  I also want this one to be my first attempt with burnt ends from the point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

JordanW

• WKC Brave
    • Instagram - @bigtroublebbq
Re: Packer Brisket Question
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 12:18:50 PM »
@kettlebb Do you separate the flat and point after cooking but before you start slicing?

That what I do and seems to work fine. Flat gets wrapped and put in cooler, point gets cubed and back on smoker. Sometimes it's gets a little "shredded" but its all tasty. Use a fork!

I have not tried to do it pre-cook. But I would think you have to cut a lot away to achieve this and you'll lose some weight. Let's see what other people say....

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 03:53:47 PM »
I agree with @JordanW about separating the point & the flat after the cook.  Obviously they can be cooked separately since you can buy them separately.  I've just never done it that way.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 04:24:09 PM »
Thanks fellas. I'll cook it whole and then separate. I'll start searching for some good burnt end threads shortly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 07:08:18 PM »
It's a simple process to separate before cooking, but it's not the easy to do, if that makes sense.    Basically, locate the seam of fat and follow along it with your knife.   Agree with the others though, separate after cooking.

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 08:14:52 PM »
I separate mine before smoking every time. It takes a little practice but it's not too bad, about 5 mins. You want to leave the fat attached to the bottom of the flat, and slice it off the top of the point to expose the meat. Start at the edge where the hard fat kernel is (after you remove it) and slowly work your way across. The burnt ends come out amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

mistrtj

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2017, 03:38:46 AM »
I separate mine before smoking every time. It takes a little practice but it's not too bad, about 5 mins. You want to leave the fat attached to the bottom of the flat, and slice it off the top of the point to expose the meat. Start at the edge where the hard fat kernel is (after you remove it) and slowly work your way across. The burnt ends come out amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I think I know who "Rub" is... and I'd follow his advice allllllllll day!

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2017, 03:51:24 AM »
I like separating mine when I cook them in my 18" wsm. I place the flat on the lower grate and the point up top.  The point bastes the flat to prevent drying out. I think that they finish closer to the same time. I like the way it works.

My problem is I can't leave my  Costco without having the butcher show me all the bigger briskets in back. I never leave with less than a 17pound. It is longer than my smoker is wide so I started splitting them.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 03:59:20 AM by Kneab »
ISO Brown Go Anywhere