Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: St. Louis and baby back ribs done different ways  (Read 1587 times)

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
St. Louis and baby back ribs done different ways
« on: May 29, 2017, 05:37:15 AM »
I am smoking 1 rack of st Louis cut ribs and 1 rack of baby rack. I am using Memphis dust on both. I plan on following Malcom Reeds competition rib recipe for the baby back and Meatheads last meal recipe for the St. Louis. Both racks are seasoned up and ready to go on in a couple hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
Re: St. Louis and baby back ribs done different ways
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 07:39:54 AM »
Ribs are on

I need to get this 26er cleaned up so I have more space.

WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 11:28:01 AM »
Looks like you've got a great start on the day ! ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 05:53:41 AM »
These are the finished pictures. They turned out pretty good, my family loved them at least. I had a very difficult time holding temperature with Royal Oak briquettes using the snake method. I ended up switching to my plum SSP with KBB to finish the cook. I haven't used RO very much so I will try again and see if I have similar issues. Has anyone else noticed issues on long cooks using RO briquettes?

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 06:43:46 AM »
Those look good. Hope it was just a fluke with the temp and RO. I'll be doing ribs soon and I'll use RO to compare them to my previous Stubbs cooks. When I get the Chef's Select stuff in I'll grill with them then do a brisket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 06:52:15 AM »
Yeah, curious what other people have noticed with RO. A friend of mine had the same experience.

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 07:06:28 AM »
Those look good. Hope it was just a fluke with the temp and RO. I'll be doing ribs soon and I'll use RO to compare them to my previous Stubbs cooks. When I get the Chef's Select stuff in I'll grill with them then do a brisket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had no problem with RO and snake method...temp sits around 275 for the entire cook.  Used RO yesterday and the ribs were done in 5 hrs.....went with 3 hrs unwrapped, 2 hrs wrapped in parchment...they were done at that point, but I left them on longer to crisp them up.  I still had unspent charcoal when finished.
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2017, 07:21:42 AM »
Interesting, I was burning through my RO much quicker then usual. May just be a fluke so I will try again. To be clear I used the RO that was $4 a bag at lowes last week.

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2017, 07:50:34 AM »
Interesting, I was burning through my RO much quicker then usual. May just be a fluke so I will try again. To be clear I used the RO that was $4 a bag at lowes last week.

Lowes $4 RO is exactly what i used yesterday.
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;