Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Chicken temperature  (Read 2927 times)

Joetee

• WKC Brave
Chicken temperature
« on: May 21, 2017, 07:04:17 AM »
Ok I know the USDA and chefs have recommended temp at 160 and 165 degrees.
I've been cooking chicken pieces to 165 and wife and Mom say they are not done. I used a thermopin and Smoke thermometer.

Question is...
What IT does most of you grill chicken pieces to to please everyone?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Chicken temperature
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 07:28:49 AM »
Breast meat, I pay attention to internal so it's juicy. Legs, thighs, and wings I cook the crap out of them I do not check internal temp but use visual keys like skin and meat pull back on legs and over all appearance of doneness. I've never checked, but I'm sure my dark meat is always cooked somewhere between 175-195. It's tough to overcook dark meat and I prefer to render as much as the fat as possible. I personally do not like a fatty leg or thigh.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 07:31:52 AM by HoosierKettle »

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Chicken temperature
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 08:12:20 AM »
I pull it between 160-165 and let it rest a few minutes before cutting it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 10:04:55 AM »
I do 180 on chicken, they can carry some strong bacteria that dies at 170 ish so 180 does it for me
If we were meant to grill with gas then the garden of Eden would have had a pipeline

ECinEI

• Smokey Joe

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 04:32:43 PM »
Breasts I take to 140, thighs are anywhere from 170 - 200.
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

txz28

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 09:52:25 AM »
I also do to 160 and coast to 165.  You can always default to:  https://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/charts/mintemp.html

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 10:13:52 AM »
I always cook chicken to 165.  Are your wife and Mom concerned about the chicken still being pink?

Scientific research indicates that foodborne pathogens and viruses, such as Salmonella, Campylobacter and the avian influenza virus, are destroyed when poultry is cooked to an internal temperature of 165°F.
https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/wcm/connect/fsis-archives-content/internet/main/newsroom/news-releases-statements-and-transcripts/news-release-archives-by-year/archives/ct_index101

Here's a good read on it:
http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/mythbusting_chicken_is_done_when_juices_run_clear.html
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 10:28:37 AM »
If I'm straight grilling, 170-ish.

Butt, I like to SV seasoned chicken, especially wings, at 150 for 2 hours or so.  Then place them around the Vortex for the sear. Sauce to your delight. Good stuff fer shur!
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Joetee

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 11:30:57 AM »
I always cook chicken to 165.  Are your wife and Mom concerned about the chicken still being pink?

Scientific research indicates that foodborne pathogens and viruses, such as Salmonella, Campylobacter and the avian influenza virus, are destroyed when poultry is cooked to an internal temperature of 165°F.
https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/wcm/connect/fsis-archives-content/internet/main/newsroom/news-releases-statements-and-transcripts/news-release-archives-by-year/archives/ct_index101

Here's a good read on it:
http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/mythbusting_chicken_is_done_when_juices_run_clear.html
Yes. If juice runs they think it's not done. The slightest pink they freak. So I guess I'll have to go to 175 on there's.

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2017, 02:30:43 PM »
@Joetee, wet brine the chicken for a couple of hours before you cook, using a simple brine of salt and brown sugar.  that will make your chicken very forgiving if you overcook it to meet the needs of your family.  i don't even check the temp any more.  once the leg breaks loose easily, i know it is done.  i don't worry if the temp is overshot, because the bird is brined and it won't be dry...seriously, it is fail proof.  if you are cooking pieces, you can still brine them first.

http://www.food.com/recipe/basic-brine-for-juicy-tender-chicken-or-turkey-306144

« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 02:33:34 PM by Foster Dahlet »
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

Joetee

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2017, 02:33:04 PM »
@Joetee, wet brine the chicken for a couple of hours before you cook, using a simple brine of salt and brown sugar.  that will make your chicken very forgiving if you overcook it to meet the needs of your family.  i don't even check the temp any more.  once the leg breaks loose easily, i know it is done.  i don't worry if the temp is overshot, because the bird is brined and it won't be dry...seriously, it is fail proof.  if you are cooking pieces, you can still brine them first.
Thank you. This sounds like a good plan.

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2017, 06:50:18 PM »
Lol! I feel your pain bro. My mom and dad started to feed me that undercooked garbage whining when I got a thermapen. I told em it's done and that I took the temp. The kept bitchin about it then I just straight up told em they have been feeding us all over cooked food all my life and now is the time for correcting their ignorant ways.
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

EricD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2017, 06:26:56 AM »
I get the same thing at home.  Wife was taught to fear under cooked MEAT, not just chicken, from a young age.  Her and her folks refuse to change with the times.  Any hint of juiciness in any meat "it's under cooked"
I take MY chicken off at 160 (dark meat  175), MY steaks at 125, MY pork at 140-145.  Her stuff gets left on the grill while mine rests.   I enjoy my meal with a nice Bourbon.  Shes chews hers and washes it down with a gallon of water.   She says she likes it.  Wont even try it cooked perfectly!
22" Kettle black, 18" Kettle black,Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza oven, Maverick ET-732
ThermaPop, Grillaholics Grill Mat, PizzaQue, Kettle Rotiserrie

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2017, 08:06:22 AM »
I'm lucky that my wife doesn't like hockey puck food. She just can't do anything spicy [emoji53]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.