Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Large charcoal lumps - break up or leave in one piece?  (Read 1008 times)

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
Large charcoal lumps - break up or leave in one piece?
« on: May 20, 2017, 06:14:39 PM »
Here's the back story to this question:  I got a two pack of steaks last night for last night's supper and today's lunch when I picked up that pork shoulder.  Since I was totally wiped, I wanted to get them cooked with a minimum of fuss so I seasoned them up, seasoned the pork shoulder and put it in the fridge, then dropped a bunch of large lumps of charcoal in a chimney and got that started and cooked the steaks.

Normally, I try to break up the big lumps so they're in average sized chunks so that I have a even fuel density.  The large lumps I used last night were all the ones I couldn't break apart by hand that I'd set aside over the last year.  This was a mix of Royal Oak and Maple Leaf chunks.  It took a while for them to start up and there was some hissing of escaping steam.  I guess some of the older lumps that had been sitting for a year or so absorbed some moisture.   Anyways, the steaks turned out well, which is why I'm questioning the need to break up the huge lumps.  Should I worry less, fill my chimneys and let them go however they may or continue breaking down the huge lumps into average sized pieces?  What do you guys do?

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Large charcoal lumps - break up or leave in one piece?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 06:35:27 PM »
I'll use bigger pieces sometimes....
As long as the piece is lit well enough or has some decent contact to make sure of continuous burn, then it's just fuel....

Sometimes, when there a big lump of stuff to cook, I break out the really big pieces,,,

Works grate......

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

nitis

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 07:36:32 PM »
@1buckie

I tried my hand at those ribs once but came away discouraged yours look amazing what the secret?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
2 Genesis A summit Gold B a Performer a homemade cabinet pellet smoker and a big piece of pipe buried in the ground

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 08:12:34 PM »
Medium heat (260~275) indirect for a long time 'till they probe easy like brisket or pork butt....there's a lot of layered internal fat that needs to cook down & turn to jello before they are tender....

** A heavy rack might take 6~7 hours, maybe....
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"