Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Low And Slow on the 26" Premium Kettle (225F)  (Read 5350 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Low And Slow on the 26" Premium Kettle (225F)
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2017, 10:30:56 AM »
It sounds like a great plan. My only problem would be getting too drunk and not waking up early in the morning to check on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

kanewtz

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2017, 10:38:04 AM »
It sounds like a great plan. My only problem would be getting too drunk and not waking up early in the morning to check on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I have a 3.5 year old son and a wife who is 37 weeks pregnant....trust me...I will be up with him at the crack of dawn!

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Low And Slow on the 26" Premium Kettle (225F)
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2017, 10:45:14 AM »
Buy food today and have it ready to throw together just in case. I think you'll be fine though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

kanewtz

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2017, 11:05:06 AM »
I have plenty of frozen food i could take out in a jiffy should things go squirrly...

Sausages, pork tenderloins, ribs, etc.

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2017, 12:35:26 PM »
If by 8am or so it seems like the brisket is going too slow, pile some more coals along the rest of the snake to raise the cooking temp.  I do mine at 300+.   

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

TD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2017, 01:01:07 PM »
Really interested in the data on your cook. The elapsed time, outside temp, wind, moisture level, charcoal stack and quantity used. Wondering if a double wall pit is really needed and would it save much on fuel. Down here in Texas land it would probably be years before fuel savings offset the cost of a pricey pit. Maybe an Acorn would be nice for cold windy days, but you can put a big brisket on a 26.  Hope your brisket comes out awesome!

WinnipegKettle

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2017, 06:34:02 PM »
Just did a pork loin using the snake method yesterday. My first time using snake and it works great at keeping temps around 225-250. Left the bottom vent open and just used top vent to regulate the temps. Used Weber KC rub my guests were drowning as they ate. No kidding it was like they haven't eaten anything like it before. Snake method is so simple and way better than just using a pile of charcoal. Oh ya and i place 5 chunks of apple wood on top of the charcoal about 3-4 inches apart.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2017, 07:23:02 PM »
And?
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

kanewtz

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2017, 11:01:16 PM »
Brisket is on....put it on at 2:30am....currently 3:00am here right now....just waiting for things to settle then will sleep for 3 hours and check it again.

Have my Thermoworks Smoke with a low alarm at 200F and high alarm at 250F...the meat probe is set to 160F.

Meat is currently at 65F....so it has another 95F before I will wrap it.....don't anticipate it rising that quickly in the next three hours.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 11:09:08 PM by kanewtz »

kanewtz

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2017, 11:05:58 PM »
Really interested in the data on your cook. The elapsed time, outside temp, wind, moisture level, charcoal stack and quantity used. Wondering if a double wall pit is really needed and would it save much on fuel. Down here in Texas land it would probably be years before fuel savings offset the cost of a pricey pit. Maybe an Acorn would be nice for cold windy days, but you can put a big brisket on a 26.  Hope your brisket comes out awesome!

Here you go, my friend!

Elapsed Time: Not sure yet...hasn't finished.
Outside Temp: 10C or 50F
Wind: 5km/h or 3mph
Humidity: 94%
Charcoal Stack: 3x2 snake about 80% around the perimeter of the kettle (26" Weber)
Quantity Used: Didn't really count them

Will update as time goes on.

Lid says 300F which is right above the heat source.  Air Temp Probe says 224.2F at the moment...fluctuating between 220F and 229F.

TD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2017, 11:36:20 PM »
Is it possible to achieve a higher pit temp by closing down some on the lid vent? Seems like I can sometimes depending on how large and fast the coals are burning. Bottom vent intake, Top vent exhaust. Can't adjust one without affecting the other depending on the ratio. Sometimes I close down on the top vent until I just see smoke start to seep out under the rim of the lid. Logic being to fill under the lid with heat and smoke from the fire down as close as possible to grate level. I usually do this unless the wood is producing heavy smoke. During those times I run top vent open to prevent creosote-BQ. Been there done that. I have made some wicked hot dogs with short runs of heavy hickory smoke though. I am no expert but just a thought. So many variables you have to do what works for you.

TD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2017, 12:11:32 AM »
I haven't used the snake method yet. I usually use a Weber char-basket on one side and meat indirect on opposite over foil to catch drippings( I don't have a 26). Sometimes ash will build up under coals in the basket and I poke thru coals with a wire to clear. You shouldn't have that problem with a snake, but you make need to cycle the one touch at some point depending on your bottom vent. Maybe not if you are running bottom full open. Sometimes I let a small chunk of wood catch fire and run with vents open until it dies out slowly and starts smoking again because Amazing ribs says it produces more nitrates and helps smoke ring. I know "if you're looking you aint cookin" but heat recovery is fast with  a small flame under the lid. I do this at the beginning of a cook only. I cook a little hotter/faster at beginning of a cook. Usually have a nice smoke colored brisket by 4.5 hours and close to 150 degrees. When I use the foil crutch seems like I have the brisket setting in drippings when finally unwrapped. I think over time the crutch slowly makes brisket more like a roast and smoke flavor diminishes. My next cook I may wrap a little later. Recently read recommendations for longer rest before slicing, and ways to hold until slicing and serving. 

TD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2017, 12:25:23 AM »
If for some reason you decide you need to move inside to the oven to finish, I would setup the probes there also. Put a pan under it and don't trust the foil. Purists with laugh at this but I am a lazy cook.

Vwbuggin64

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2017, 12:28:36 AM »
Looks good so far! Cant wait to see the finished product.
Rollin coal

22" 81 B (Faded Black), 22" 86 H (Black),91 N SJ (black), 18" 65 (Red), 12 AU Tostito SJ , 22" CU (Copper), 22” (Brown)Happy Cooker, Q2000 Charcoal, Weber Spirit, 22in Yellow, 18"WSM, Happy cooker SJ

TD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2017, 12:36:49 AM »
Harry Soo on resting the brisket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PrbNKcIou8