Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Replacement door knob question.  (Read 3478 times)

Craig

• WKC Mod
Replacement door knob question.
« on: May 07, 2017, 09:40:52 AM »
I have a 1981 C code WSM and am in need of a new door knob/latch. Anyone know the part number or a suitable replacement? I want to keep it as original looking as possible so I'm not looking for the modern handle version. Any suggestions are appreciated. Currently using a hex head.. [emoji17]

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
Re: Replacement door knob question.
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 10:11:56 AM »
@Craig ,

eReplacent parts has them here. http://www.ereplacementparts.com/door-knob-p-1475864.html

I'll be adding a "C" code to the collection as well.
I've got Webers. 10 - WSMs, 5 - 22.5" kettles, 2 - 18.5" kettle, 2 - SJS, 2 - SJP, 4 - WGA, 1 vintage Coolie Pan
"Animal flesh cooked over an open fire is a sensible and essential part of a well balanced diet"

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 10:15:43 AM »

@Craig ,

eReplacent parts has them here. http://www.ereplacementparts.com/door-knob-p-1475864.html

I'll be adding a "C" code to the collection as well.

Thanks. For some reason when I searched there I couldn't get that to come up in the results. Much appreciated. Be sure to show us your C code when you get it.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 10:35:20 AM »
Have you looked into ceramic knobs? They're out there for various purposes. I'm sure there's a black one out there that will look almost original, and it ain't gonna melt. Just a thought.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

northwestkettle

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 11:31:21 AM »
I found threaded black nobs at ace hardware they had various sizes like the one below

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BBQ to live live to BBQ

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 01:15:26 PM »
How did you melt the handle or was it like that when you got it?  I'll have to admit, I like the round knob look of the original. Maybe zavod could make one from  a dark wood?  Might be cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

northwestkettle

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2017, 01:23:52 PM »
The entire lever and handle was gone when I got it I had to weld a new nut to the stem and cut the head off a bolt and thread the other side to screw the new knob onto

BBQ to live live to BBQ

northwestkettle

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2017, 04:11:03 PM »
I realized after I posted you where probably talking to Craig about how he melted the knob off lol

BBQ to live live to BBQ

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2017, 04:56:28 PM »

I realized after I posted you where probably talking to Craig about how he melted the knob off lol

Yep but nice work none the less [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2017, 05:00:39 PM »
The knob that I got with it was a smaller replacement knob that didn't quite work with the latching piece. So I replaced it with a black ball knob from Ace but didn't put a washer in between so I learned the hard way. I'm getting the OEM knob and latch for the 2880/2890.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2017, 06:24:07 PM »
The knob that I got with it was a smaller replacement knob that didn't quite work with the latching piece. So I replaced it with a black ball knob from Ace but didn't put a washer in between so I learned the hard way. I'm getting the OEM knob and latch for the 2880/2890.

Are you sure you are able to get just the knob?

I've never had to replace any of the round knobs when I had the 18", but I know for a fact that the L shaped handles on the 22's are POS and Weber will only sell the door & handle together.
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2017, 07:03:13 PM »

Are you sure you are able to get just the knob?

I've never had to replace any of the round knobs when I had the 18", but I know for a fact that the L shaped handles on the 22's are POS and Weber will only sell the door & handle together.

Yessir! The knob and latch came today. Silly question, but should I put a washer in between the knob and the door?

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2017, 09:08:47 PM »
Hey Craig, found this image at the TVWB. Hope it helps.
AJ @Craig   8)

I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2017, 08:13:11 PM »
@zavod44 Might be able to make one from ebony but any wood coupled with his work would be outstanding here.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2017, 02:34:34 AM »
When weber sells the door..it comes with latch handle ...

Nit sure if weber still sells the older model tho.

GL
Grills