Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: caster wheel question  (Read 963 times)

stev

• WKC Brave
caster wheel question
« on: April 28, 2017, 01:35:22 PM »
I was doing a cook on my newly purchased gen 2 performer the other (windy) day and had the grill fired up, ran into the house to grab the meat, came outside to find my new (to me) grill racing across my driveway. I caught it in time to avert disaster-wish I had a vid of me chasing it to post. Anywhow, I found what look like locks on the casters, tried to use them, with no luck, so I wouldn't have to chase it again.
Is there a trick to locking them?

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
caster wheel question
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 01:41:12 PM »
If the foot peg is still there, I'd say lube it to see if it frees up. If not, and you have a Stein's Garden Center (WI company; noticed you're in WI) nearby, they sell replacements for $5.99 each. Obviously Weber Parts will sell 'em too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

stev

• WKC Brave
Re: caster wheel question
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 01:54:10 PM »
@brewtownbeatdown thanks-I thought about trying lube. Just not sure if that would collect dirt & dust. No Stein's over here in LaX. May wind up trying Weber. Duh! Just found a spray can of garage door lube in the garage that says on the label "dries tack free, will not attract dirt and dust". Can't fix stupid.

johnny 2 shack

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 02:38:30 PM »
ha ha ha yea a vid would of been cool ! , new kettles can be a little skitish sometimes , probably just got scared when you went in the house lol .mine has the oposite problem , won't stay unlocked . are you sure your pushing the lever down far enough to lock em ? they should work as they are new . that being said use the search function on this page and look at some of the cool  hd upgrades some of members have done on here , good reading .

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 03:58:18 PM »
The caster lock will eventually fail...

Its either keep it on flat surface...which i would regardless...or order anither caster. .

Use a mud knife to loosen up the caster and then remove...youd want to either flip it upside which i would do.

Or use 2x4s the jack up the caster side and then start removal process...more than likely it wont easily pull out.

Or if you ha e anither gen 2/3/4 perfirmer swap out 1 of the locking casters with the other perfirner..each would have 1 locking caster which should prevent movement.
Grills

stev

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 05:03:19 PM »
@toolhead thanks for the advise. I replaced casters on my ssp last year with metal ones with no brakes-mistake. Was advised originals were obsolete. Bought that grill off CL. Seller told me it had a flat tire, which indeed it did. Apparently they just dragged it around with a locked up caster.

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 07:44:05 PM »
Put the lockedup caster back on.

You can still buy casters for gen 2 perforner...i have 1 nib...pm me if interested  or buy 1 from ereolacement parts or weber
Grills

stev

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2017, 09:57:59 AM »
silicone to the rescue!