Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber 26 Inch Charcoal Going Out  (Read 2177 times)

swamprb

• WKC Performer
Re: Weber 26 Inch Charcoal Going Out
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2017, 04:11:32 PM »
Does the lid have the taco handle??
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2017, 07:42:17 PM »

I'm pretty sure he mentioned it was the nacho bel grande handle

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2017, 10:12:30 PM »
I'm with Troy and HoosierKettle - I don't know why you would spread charcoal over the entire grate. Everything else sounds good to go. Maybe leave off the ash pan as a test.

Try a fully lit chimney of new charcoal briquettes, poured into two baskets. Preferably KBB, the baseline fuel.

nunyabinis

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2017, 02:36:06 AM »
so you're lighting two chimneys and spreading all the coals out over the entire charcoal grate?

What are you cooking?

A whole cooking grate full of burgers.  You guys don't spread the coals out when grilling burgers?   

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Weber 26 Inch Charcoal Going Out
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2017, 03:05:32 AM »
It's been awhile, but that's usually a party situation and I'm using the lid briefly to smother flare ups on a roaring hot grill. I don't have the lid on for long enough periods of time to smother coals on a direct burger cook.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 03:07:57 AM by HoosierKettle »

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2017, 03:42:39 AM »

I'm pretty sure he mentioned it was the nacho bel grande handle

If using Kingsford, are the grooves up and the K's down?
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2017, 04:41:13 AM »
try using the charcoal baskets..

i also have never dumped charcoal directly on the grates.. ive used baskets since day 1 and have zero issues ..

your 26'er if bought fairly recently..should have come with the charcoal baskets.

also with the baskets.. you can get a better sear, with less charcoal .. the baskets allow you to get your coals closer to the cook grate...

i think this will resolve your issue..
Grills

nunyabinis

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2017, 04:43:16 AM »
It's been awhile, but that's usually a party situation and I'm using the lid briefly to smother flare ups on a roaring hot grill. I don't have the lid on for long enough periods of time to smother coals on a direct burger cook.

FWIW, here's the technique I usually use to grill awesome burgers:

While the charcoal is getting hot I use loppers to cut a few one inch diameter green limbs off deciduous oak trees around the yard.  I then cut the oak limbs into one foot lengths.  When the charcoal is ready I dump it on the grate and spread it out.  I then put a few pieces of the green oak on top of the hot coals.  After I place the burgers on the cooking grate I put the lid on to "smoke" the burgers while cooking.  IMO, this method imparts a delicious flavor to the meat.

I've used this technique for decades with the smaller Webers and never had a problem with the coals going out.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2017, 05:11:25 AM »
I'm intrigued by your burger method and idea to add a vent.  I say add a vent and let us know how it works. I'm all for making modifications to enhance grilling.  An added vent would certainly allow for higher cooking temperatures which would increase the grills versatility.