Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber 26 Inch Charcoal Going Out  (Read 2181 times)

nunyabinis

• Happy Cooker
Weber 26 Inch Charcoal Going Out
« on: April 27, 2017, 10:45:26 AM »
I bought a 26 incher last year and the charcoal keeps going out starting from the outside edge.  I have to keep opening the lid to allow more air flow so the charcoal will re-ignite.  The only thing I can figure is that the top vent is not letting enough air flow.  My 22" and 18" don't have this problem.  I'm thinking about ordering a new top vent closer and drilling four new holes in the top to match so that I can increase the air flow.

Has anyone else had this problem and found a solution?

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Weber 26 Inch Charcoal Going Out
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 11:22:54 AM »
Hello and welcome.
That's a strange issue, especially since youre not having issues with other kettles.
How are you running the vents? How much coal are you using to start?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nunyabinis

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 11:30:25 AM »
Top and bottom vents are wide open. All ash cleaned out.   I cover the entire charcoal grate with one layer of charcoal.  I noticed an Amazon reviewer mentioned the same issue so I'm not the only one having this problem.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 11:37:44 AM »
Make sure the pack on your pile is not too loose....ie. there are no or few holes between the pieces. If you are using lump then the pack needs to be tighter and higher.

Make sure you are not using charcoal this is now or once was wet or very moist.

I have a 26er and have no issues with maintaining lit coals.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 11:46:51 AM »
I wondered about wet coal also, but if you're using the same charcoal with other cookers..?

nunyabinis

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 11:48:55 AM »
Bags of freshly opened Kingsford has the same issue.  Usually takes about 1.5 chimneys of charcoal to cover the grate. 

I bought this grill to use the Snake Method to slow-smoke large cuts of meats.  It does a fantastic job with that, but, when trying to sear a bunch of burgers the charcoal wants to go out every time.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2017, 11:58:46 AM »
Never had a problem with mine. The issue is your probably dumping a lit chimney in just like on a 22 only the 26 is a larger charcoal grate therefore your coals are more spread out. Use more coal. Problem solved.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

nunyabinis

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2017, 11:59:53 AM »
This is the Amazon review that I mentioned:

"I think the grill is so large it should have two vents. My fire tends to die from the outside in. So if my fire is a foot across to start, after a while with the lid on and vents wide open, the hot area will shrink (e.g. to eight inches) because the outer area of the coals starts to die out. I've had to start taking the lid off completely at times to keep the coals hot, which sometimes ends up getting it too hot and creating some "burnt ends" where they're not wanted."

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R1PYI7U8VQAJ7H/ref=cm_cr_getr_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00N65AAW4

Exactly.

nunyabinis

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2017, 12:02:57 PM »
Never had a problem with mine. The issue is your probably dumping a lit chimney in just like on a 22 only the 26 is a larger charcoal grate therefore your coals are more spread out. Use more coal. Problem solved.

As I mentioned in a post above, it normally takes about 1.5 chimneys of charcoal to cover the grate.  I have two chimneys and I fill them both about 3/4 full at the same time so that I can dump them together.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2017, 12:03:25 PM »
It's going to take more than an amazon review. I use this grill almost daily. If all is clean, you simply need more charcoal and make sure they are fully lit before spreading.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2017, 12:09:41 PM »
Another thing, don't be afraid to use a lot of charcoal for searing. A single layer isn't enough in my opinion. You can snuff the unused coals at the end of the cook.  Next cook, knock ashes down and light another 3/4 chimney and pour over old coal. Let those get going and you have a perpetual set up without using tons of coal each time.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2017, 12:11:28 PM »
Try this one time. Instead of dumping coals directly on the grate, dump a chimney in a couple baskets. See what it does.

eLLWOODgGLEN

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2017, 01:55:02 PM »
Must be a defective kettle,  box it up and send it my way. I'll even cover half the shipping.

[emoji6]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2017, 02:04:29 PM »
so you're lighting two chimneys and spreading all the coals out over the entire charcoal grate?

What are you cooking?

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2017, 03:11:28 PM »
so you're lighting two chimneys and spreading all the coals out over the entire charcoal grate?

What are you cooking?

Good point Troy. To be honest, I can't remember the last time I've spread out coals over the entire grate so really don't know how it cooks in that configuration. I use the coal rails in line and utilize a 2 zone cook nearly every time. However, I'll have a large amount of coal  piled high on the hot side and haven't noticed air flow being an issue.