Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Stainless Steel Charcoal Grate  (Read 4189 times)

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
Re: Stainless Steel Charcoal Grate
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2017, 05:07:50 PM »
And thanks to the OP...ill probably order the amazon ss charcoal grates
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 05:09:38 PM by toolhead »
Grills

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2017, 05:29:39 PM »
I do like that. Looks incredible. Nice work!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Thanks! I figured you would also prefer SS table like this over a metal table if you had a choice. 

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2017, 06:23:43 PM »
Hold on ....im not sure i agree with the comments about charcoal grates ss not having value.

If you are spending the money for ss cook grates. Having ss charcoal grates offer the same long term investment value.

We know that the steel charcoal grates will warp and bow downwards after 1-2 years of usage...and then rust/thin out.

Ss is more heat resistant than steel related to retaining tensile strength (@ high temps)...so the ss grates SHOULD be more resistant to warping..helping you to maintain the height of you baskets to your cook grates...

So why are ss charcoal grates being so readily dismissed here...ive been looking for ss charcoal grates and will probably buy 2 sets of these....

If you personally dont want to make the investment for ss charcoal grates..thats one thing but i think theres misinformation being shared here that steel grates are superior in tensile strength (at higher temps) related to steel, which is the primary reason why the steel grates bow at such low temps...bowing at 500-600 degrees kettle temps is pretty dismal tensile strength performance.

Steel is rated to lose tensile strength at a much lower temp than ss...how is steel superior to ss for charcoal grates?
Steel is superior because it's cheaper.  At the charcoal grate temps will be much higher than at the cooking grate. At the charcoal grate your temps are probably around 1200 or more. There the extra nickel & chromium content won't matter much. It will deform & it will rust. It will last a bit longer, but it is not economically worthwhile.

As someone who works in the steel industry, I can make stainless rust in 20 minutes.

If you want to spend the extra for stainless charcoal grates...go for it. If you believe its better, there's no facts I can present against it, that in this situation it isn't needed.

Joetee

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2017, 12:03:48 AM »
Why are we not using cast iron grates? Are they not much stronger and less likely to warp?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2017, 02:29:43 AM »
Hold on ....im not sure i agree with the comments about charcoal grates ss not having value.

If you are spending the money for ss cook grates. Having ss charcoal grates offer the same long term investment value.

We know that the steel charcoal grates will warp and bow downwards after 1-2 years of usage...and then rust/thin out.

Ss is more heat resistant than steel related to retaining tensile strength (@ high temps)...so the ss grates SHOULD be more resistant to warping..helping you to maintain the height of you baskets to your cook grates...

So why are ss charcoal grates being so readily dismissed here...ive been looking for ss charcoal grates and will probably buy 2 sets of these....

If you personally dont want to make the investment for ss charcoal grates..thats one thing but i think theres misinformation being shared here that steel grates are superior in tensile strength (at higher temps) related to steel, which is the primary reason why the steel grates bow at such low temps...bowing at 500-600 degrees kettle temps is pretty dismal tensile strength performance.

Steel is rated to lose tensile strength at a much lower temp than ss...how is steel superior to ss for charcoal grates?
Steel is superior because it's cheaper.  At the charcoal grate temps will be much higher than at the cooking grate. At the charcoal grate your temps are probably around 1200 or more. There the extra nickel & chromium content won't matter much. It will deform & it will rust. It will last a bit longer, but it is not economically worthwhile.

As someone who works in the steel industry, I can make stainless rust in 20 minutes.

If you want to spend the extra for stainless charcoal grates...go for it. If you believe its better, there's no facts I can present against it, that in this situation it isn't needed.

Im no engineer but...steel loses tensile strength at lower temps than ss ...

Structural steel at 900 F and ss at 1500 f ...thats approx ratings...

Im pretty sure weber char grates are not structural steel...so that steel proably warps at even lower temp.

Yes ss will become more rust prone at higher temps...but will still outoerform std steel in bith tensile strength and rust resistance

I could have it all wrong  =)

Grills

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2017, 12:31:03 PM »
Simply, a charcoal grate is really not something that tensile strength is that important.   We're not building a bridge or a skyscraper here.