Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Vortex / slow n sear  (Read 2464 times)

Joetee

• WKC Brave
Vortex / slow n sear
« on: April 20, 2017, 04:45:31 PM »
Is the vortex handy and worth buying? And what's a good supplier for it?

Also the slow n sear. Same question?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Vortex / slow n sear
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 04:51:43 PM »
Opinions vary greatly on this, and while I do not own a vortex I will tell you from conversation with some who do have them the Vortex is a one trick pony, great for wings.

Slow and sear works as a great smoker and a great sear station.  I love my slow and sear.

@Troy has both, any thoughts?
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

Joetee

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 05:03:04 PM »
Is stacking your coals up against the side damaging the side of the grill with the extream heat? If so, it seems the slow n sear would prevent this.

Joetee

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 05:09:26 PM »
Is the slow n sear made by Adrenaline the one people here are buying?

Jimmy

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 05:22:23 PM »
Yes, Adrenaline is the one people are buying.  I just purchased the SNS Plus...I love it. I smoked some pork tenderloin as a quick and easy cook and it turned out excellent. 

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 05:24:55 PM »
Stacking coals against the side of a kettle can cause crazing and popping of the porcelain on the outside of the kettle. Yes, @ABCBarbecue (Adrenaline Barbecue Company) makes the slow n sear that is widely discussed here.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

Joetee

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 05:41:23 PM »
Ok so which one do you all like better for a 22 in kettle? Slow n sear, or slow n sear plus?

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 05:57:52 PM »
I plan to go with the Slow N Sear soon.  The vortex is nice, but is not really a game changer for the things I like to do on the grill.  I already can turn out great crispy wings & chicken parts....the slow & sear, just for its ability to maintain low and slow cooks for extended periods of time, is a game changer.  I currently employ modified minion method, or snake ring method for bbq cooking...to find something that will make the bbq cooks easier is awesome...
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

Jimmy

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 04:02:12 AM »
If your going to use lump charcoal then go with the slow n sear plus.  The built in base plate keeps smaller size coals in use a bit longer.  The ability to move the slow n sear plus around in the kettle is another option for the plus.  I am not sure why you would want to move it around but you do have that ability.  If these additional options just don't seem necessary, go with the original and you will be happy.

Joetee

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 04:21:32 AM »
If your going to use lump charcoal then go with the slow n sear plus.  The built in base plate keeps smaller size coals in use a bit longer.  The ability to move the slow n sear plus around in the kettle is another option for the plus.  I am not sure why you would want to move it around but you do have that ability.  If these additional options just don't seem necessary, go with the original and you will be happy.

Thank you Jimmy.
This is my first kettle and first using charcoal in maybe 20+ years. I've used gas grills out of convenience. But so far, the charcoal grills are amazingly better for flavor.
So pretty much I'm learning all over again.
This site is very helpful.

MFBinNH

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 05:21:25 AM »
FYI..great SnS community page on Facebook if you're interested..https://www.facebook.com/groups/1885522028370703/

Jimmy

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2017, 02:52:12 PM »
You're welcome.  I also used a gas grill for 15 years then bought a 22 in. kettle...I won't go back now.  I am having too much fun cooking/smoking over charcoal.

tibas92017

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2017, 03:03:55 PM »
A couple of months ago I purchased the Slow N Sear Plus and their Drip N Griddle which are both great BBQ Accessories. I use these units for some Low N Slow cooks and also cooking some great steaks over Charcoal portion of this unit.

This week I purchased for my 22" Weber Mastertouch Grill the Medium Size Vortex which should do a great burn under my Weber GBS Korean Grill Insert for some good Korean BBQ dishes. 

« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 03:06:36 PM by tibas92017 »

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2017, 03:46:26 PM »
I've got both and they are different tools for different applications. The Vortex can certainly get hotter than the SNS as it funnels the heat.

I use the Vortex mainly for a wok burner:
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/vortex-wok/msg147164/#msg147164

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2017, 07:22:38 PM »
Opinions vary greatly on this, and while I do not own a vortex I will tell you from conversation with some who do have them the Vortex is a one trick pony, great for wings.

Slow and sear works as a great smoker and a great sear station.  I love my slow and sear.

@Troy has both, any thoughts?
This is my opinion as well.