Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber SSP gastronorm/steam pan mod - anyone tried this?  (Read 1949 times)

fanshawe

• Happy Cooker
Weber SSP gastronorm/steam pan mod - anyone tried this?
« on: April 19, 2017, 03:28:28 AM »
Hi folks,

Firstly, great forum - it's been really helpful in getting me going with the used SSP I bought a few weeks ago.

I'm not using the gas start, and have been thinking about how to better use the space under the lid. I came across the 'gastronorm' standard of pan sizes, that seem to mainly be used for catering:

On measuring the space under the lid of the SSP it seems that it's almost exactly the right size to accommodate a full '1/1' size pan! The only mod needed would be to cut down the section that currently holds the ignition button, so that it's the same width as the 'bin' section. Then, as the above image shows, you could fit any combination of smaller pans within the space.

So, has anyone tried this already?

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
Re: Weber SSP gastronorm/steam pan mod - anyone tried this?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 03:51:18 AM »
I think @Winz put a wire basket in that area. Sounds like an interesting project. Please take pics and share.

Welcome the the club!
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 04:01:47 AM »

I used a half inch sheet of plywood as a spacer to raise it up a little. I didn't want enough space for chipmunks or mice. Plus the back left corner of the pan has something to sit on.
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 05:32:22 AM »
@fanshawe - great to see your ideas and plans!  Here is how I modified mine.  I kept the gas assist, but put a wire basket in to hold gloves, thermapen, headlight etc.

I have also used that space for a cutting block in the past:

Keep us posted on your project.

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 06:11:21 AM »
One of my Performers has the steam pan mod. I modified the char bin so it can stay in place and the pan fits inside of it.

IIRC @pbe gummi bear modded his char bin too.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/ss-performer-charcoal-box-mod-15882/msg157953/#msg157953
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

fanshawe

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 12:21:11 PM »
Very cool stuff guys, thanks for the replies. I was sure that someone must have tried something similar before. I've seen a chafing dish that uses​ the same dimensions so I'm considering putting that​ in at the moment... I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk