Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Taco Handle  (Read 5936 times)

charred

• WKC Performer
Re: Taco Handle
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2017, 10:26:27 AM »
Put me in the puzzled why it bugs people so much camp.  I don't care either way.  I guess for those that rail against it for functionality reasons, do you toss out all of your Silvers and only purchase ones with ash catcher assemblies because they are more functional?  Or toss out any three wheelers because they aren't as functional as a kettle with ash sweeps?

Now I'm puzzled- what is it you're asking? The handle shield performs its function well. But, the function is nearly pointless. (Gloves boys, gloves). It's not worth screwing with the aesthetics of the grill, imHo. It's plain 'ol Fugly.  :)
No, I disagree. I hate glove mitts... they are clumsy and always in the way. IMHO, this was brilliant. Design? No problem. It works, and everyone has their opinion on fugly. I don't consider fugly until I cook and plate my meal. THAT is important.

Me, too. That's why I wear GLOVES. 5-fingered welder's gloves. $5 at HF.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=welding+gloves

hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

Paul S

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2018, 10:44:37 AM »
I'm lazy, anyone got a part# for the taco shield handle assembly? if it works to keep the handles cool I'd like to install one. As it is cooking chicken wings with a Vortex make the handle a bit hot to not use a glove for an extended period of time handling the lid.

Does the taco shield really work keeping the entire handle assembly cool to touch? It gets a little cumbesome having to don on gloves everytime I want to open a hot lid as I don't keep them gloves on for any entire cook. It's just for the ease of use purpose handling a hot lid

looks don't matter much to me

ps thinking of getting the SS ash cleaning kit with the taco handle before it goes out of stock, who knows if it be discontinued? and just wanting go keep it on the side. Don't see the SS cleaning kit but on ereplacement website so.. .
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 10:59:49 AM by Paul S »
RetireCheapJC says: There's always an option.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2018, 12:11:45 PM »
Taco handle does its intended purpose very well and it can look very nice if you reshape the strap.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2018, 03:37:45 PM »
The shield was a long time in coming. When plastic handles entered the product line, they never insulated from heat the way wood does. So the shield and the extra distance away from the lid work to mitigate that.

Got a wood handle on your modern kettle? Even better ... but for each and every new owner who doesn't "know" any better, and would never even think about modifying a freaking "BBQ," the taco and taller handle strap are essential ideas realized.

So like it, or don't, but to question why it exists seems odd to me.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
Taco Handle
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2018, 04:41:09 PM »
The biggest issue with the taco handle  is how weber designed the strap,specifically the rounded contour . Straight lines would have made it look  much better.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 04:47:07 PM by Jules V. »

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2018, 06:40:47 PM »
I think they bowed it out to make room for an oven mitt.

Butt I love the straight handle adaptations.
Much more in keeping with traditional styling.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 06:42:28 PM by YardBurner »

Speedster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2018, 07:47:57 PM »
One question?
I want to know, if you had a choice of a wood Dale MLH metal handle on lid or a taco handle grill which will you choose?????
Nuff said already. I'll take the wood Dale any day

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Webers rule

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2018, 10:32:00 AM »

One question?
I want to know, if you had a choice of a wood Dale MLH metal handle on lid or a taco handle grill which will you choose?????
Nuff said already. I'll take the wood Dale any day

Ha...not me. I’d take a taco in a heartbeat.

I used to have a kettle without a wooden handle on it. A few times I grabbed it without a mitt when it was screaming hot.

There is a reason they’re not made that way anymore. [emoji6]

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2018, 08:00:23 PM »

The biggest issue with the taco handle  is how weber designed the strap,specifically the rounded contour . Straight lines would have made it look  much better.

Is that the Weber Fireplace handle strap? I like that!! I like that a lot!!!! Much more traditional design with the modern taco incorporated! Tell me more about these!?

HOLY GRAILS: 1950s era Black or Custom finish 18.5 or 22.5 Kettle, Brown Go Anywhere grill.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
Taco Handle
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2018, 09:53:20 PM »

Is that the Weber Fireplace handle strap? I like that!! I like that a lot!!!! Much more traditional design with the modern taco incorporated! Tell me more about these!?

HOLY GRAILS: 1950s era Black or Custom finish 18.5 or 22.5 Kettle, Brown Go Anywhere grill.

Those are my simplified version of a @greenweb inspired taco handle reshaped strap. The strap was reshaped and reused.  Just add ss washer/nut. Quite simple to reshape the strap once you get the first one out of the way. It took me more than an hour to complete  the  whole process on my first try. All subsequent reshaping took less than 20 minutes. I'll gladly send you the full details if you need it.

Side note.
Other than the way it looks, the taco handle assembly has 2 major design flaws. The first one is that the taco shell is made out of aluminum. Aluminum is a very  good heat conductor and therefore a very poor choice to be used as a heat  shield.  Stainless would have been a much better choice  of material as it's a very poor heat conductor.  Stainless is also more durable, looks better,  less prone to piting and oxidization. The  second flaw has to do with  the carriage bolt. The "teeth" portion of the bolt (portion that  grabs the taco shell and strap to keep it from spinning when tightening the nut) protrudes past the taco shell and comes into contact with the holes on the lid.  As much as possible, the bolt shouldn't come into direct contact with the bowl to allow slight expansion/contraction during handling and heating/cooling cycles  This will  also create unnecessary strain on the bowl that could lead to porcelain chipping.

The thread below is when i started reshaping the strap.
My first Zav's...Imported from Canada
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=63141&share_tid=35233&url=http%3A%2F%2Fweberkettleclub%2Ecom%2Fforums%2Findex%2Ephp%3Ftopic%3D35233&share_type=t
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 11:02:22 AM by Jules V. »

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2018, 05:54:18 AM »
So ... adding a washer atop the lid mitigates the stressor point that the carriage bolt "teeth" would otherwise create, is that correct?

And then there's the plate you added to at least the red one?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
Taco Handle
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2018, 09:46:17 AM »
So ... adding a washer atop the lid mitigates the stressor point that the carriage bolt "teeth" would otherwise create, is that correct?

And then there's the plate you added to at least the red one?
Hold on tight because  I'm not very good at explaining things and there's a lot of things going on with this taco mess. If you remove the taco assembly and look closely at the bottom of the shell, the teeth on the carriage bolt extends past through it and protrudes slightly that it will come into contact with the lid holes. This alone creates 2 problems. It deforms the and creates  downward sharp jagged edges on the taco shell. This is the portion that comes to contact with the lid. The bottom of the shell should be always flat and smooth. With the bottom of the shell deformed, it will eventually damage the lid porcelain. A workaround this issue is to grind off the teeth on the bolt,  photo below. The teeth are unnecessary once you use a regular nut. You'll be able to tighten the nut without the bolt spinning. You can reuse the carriage bolt or replace it with a ss version which I did on some of my tacos. You'll be using ss washers and bolts anyways so you might as well replace it also,(LE oddly enough has a larger metric ss carriage bolt). Actually a longer bolt is better since it allows the use of multiple washers, a 1 1/4" and 1/2" washer inside the lid.
I don't have any high heat fiber washers so I've been using ss fender washers between the shell and lid instead. The washer are 1" and trimmed on the outside perimeter. The use of a fender washer instead of a fiber will allows you to tighten the nut very tightly without having to worry about damaging the lid finish. The key here is to deform the washers to follow the slight curved contour of the lid. Just place the washer on a 2"x4" and slightly hit it in the middle with a peen hammer. Make adjustments as necessary until it mimics the lid contour.  Washer should be sanded and polished to eliminate any sharp  edges that may come into contact with the lid. Also not all washers are not created equal. Some are slightly thicker than others.  I have a caliper but i never bothered measuring it. Use the thinner version if possible. The washers i get from lowes and at a specialty fastener store tend to be thinner than those from home depot.

I've  tested my lids by holding on the handle very firmly and  abruptly flinging/swinging it around etc without any damages.  That's  something i wouldn't dare try on any welded lid handle. Not exactly really real life situation that a lid should ever encounter, but it's a peace of mind knowing that there wouldn't  be any problems down the line through regular day to day use.

At some point I'll start a thread on this taco reshaping as i have quite a few members asking for a detailed instructions.  Don't have anymore "fresh" taco to reshape. More of a centralized thread as I've been replying on the same things on 4 or 5 different threads.

R: standard carriage bolt.
L: teeth has been grinded down.

Outside edge of washer trimmed.

This is how it looks with the trimmed washer. Should've trimmed it a bit more.

Washers are barely visible
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 12:17:52 PM by Jules V. »

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2018, 11:05:45 AM »
Thanks. Interesting tidbit about the red LE having SS bolts there. I still haven’t put mine together yet, but am exploring my handle options. I’d just as soon skip the taco since a wood handle takes care of most of the heat issue for your hand. But moreso than the added complexity of the taco, I don’t like how tall the strap must be for it.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2018, 11:29:34 AM »
Thanks. Interesting tidbit about the red LE having SS bolts there. I still haven’t put mine together yet, but am exploring my handle options. I’d just as soon skip the taco since a wood handle takes care of most of the heat issue for your hand. But moreso than the added complexity of the taco, I don’t like how tall the strap must be for it.
You can easily bypass the taco shell. Just reshape the strap and shorten it to your desired height. Would be an easier and faster rework. You'll have to use a fiber washer in place of the ss washer.  For me i have to have the taco since a majority of my cooks revolve around indirect using a poortex at a very high temperature, preferably a minimum of 600F at the lid thermometer. Without the taco, even a wood handle gets too hot to handle without  using gloves.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2018, 12:51:00 PM »
Face it. The heat shield came from burnt hands, customer base input, I'm sure. I like the idea, ugly or not... it works. Yeah, they fucked up with the strap design, butt guys here figgered out how to make it better, which I will be doing to mine.

If Weber is watching this site, maybe they'll get it right. 8)
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.