Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Taco Handle  (Read 5927 times)

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
Re: Taco Handle
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2017, 08:58:26 AM »
The taco may function well for deflecting heat but it looks cheap...I can remove it...the main problem is how the handle attaches to the lid. Even if you tighten it correctly it still gets loose, a weld would after 50 years maybe but the new version could be 5 days or 5 weeks. Either way as soon as it does and the lid is lifted and twisted you risk a porcelain pop. Having to retrofit some sort of patchwork fix to simulate a welded handle leaves you with something that does not match up look-wise. Just buy old....it's easy.

I don't care about Weber's costs or what is easy for them. I want a properly functioning piece of machinery and will pay what it takes. If that means charging me an extra 20 or 40 bucks so be it. I do not want something that looks and acts cheap. Not in a bbq, not in a woman.
Replace the cheap tin nutz with washers and real nutz. It works. Trust me.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

johnny 2 shack

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2017, 09:13:06 AM »
shell or no shell no problem , bolt on handles errrrrrrrrr ! at least get some kind of heat proof gasket  so you can't crack the porcelain , this is why i have zero interest in any of the fancy new colours .

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2017, 09:16:44 AM »
I personally prefer enchiladas over tacos but tacos are ok with me too!
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2017, 09:25:21 AM »
Not sure what the gripe is about the taco handle. I find it very useful when I have a screaming hot kettle, the handle stays cool. IMHO, I think it's a grate idea. Just sayin'...

I have been saying this all along....it works very well....I have no issue with it

Sent from my Moto Z force Droid

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2017, 11:07:41 AM »
if it was the same shape as the old style and not bowed looking id probably not have a problem with it. but I can't stand how it looks. I also don't like change very much any how

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2017, 09:47:15 PM »
Taco handle is fugly. You guys got girly hands or what? Put on an oven mitt if you need to for cripes sakes  :P

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2017, 12:18:54 AM »
Put me in the puzzled why it bugs people so much camp.  I don't care either way.  I guess for those that rail against it for functionality reasons, do you toss out all of your Silvers and only purchase ones with ash catcher assemblies because they are more functional?  Or toss out any three wheelers because they aren't as functional as a kettle with ash sweeps?

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2017, 03:26:59 AM »
Put me in the puzzled why it bugs people so much camp.  I don't care either way.  I guess for those that rail against it for functionality reasons, do you toss out all of your Silvers and only purchase ones with ash catcher assemblies because they are more functional?  Or toss out any three wheelers because they aren't as functional as a kettle with ash sweeps?
Hey, who you callin' an ash sweep...  :)

All three of my 22.5" are the taco models and I love them. All three are equipped with the Vortex and zav's custom handles. The taco is a savior.  8)
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2017, 04:10:11 AM »

I much prefer the twist style ash pan to the ash catcher assembly.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2017, 05:28:06 AM »

Now I'm puzzled- what is it you're asking? The handle shield performs its function well. But, the function is nearly pointless. (Gloves boys, gloves). It's not worth screwing with the aesthetics of the grill, imHo. It's plain 'ol Fugly.  :)
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2017, 06:01:09 AM »
For me, I think it stems from my angle of approach when diving in to remove the lid with the taco shield in place.

I always ended up scraping my fingers on its edge.

For this reason alone, I will forever HATE the taco shield and remove them from any kettle I will ever own.
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2017, 06:20:00 AM »

Now I'm puzzled- what is it you're asking? The handle shield performs its function well. But, the function is nearly pointless. (Gloves boys, gloves). It's not worth screwing with the aesthetics of the grill, imHo. It's plain 'ol Fugly.  :)
No, I disagree. I hate glove mitts... they are clumsy and always in the way. IMHO, this was brilliant. Design? No problem. It works, and everyone has their opinion on fugly. I don't consider fugly until I cook and plate my meal. THAT is important.

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2017, 06:32:54 AM »
Maybe they would not look as bad if they at least matched the color of the actual kettle.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2017, 07:16:36 AM »
do you toss out all of your Silvers and only purchase ones with ash catcher assemblies because they are more functional?  Or toss out any three wheelers because they aren't as functional as a kettle with ash sweeps?

Actually, yes.

I don't mind the taco. I think it's less visually appealing but it's not gonna keep me from owning the modern kettles
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 07:19:15 AM by pbe gummi bear »
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2017, 07:35:27 AM »
I'm with you there Gummi. All my cookers are either OTG or performer. I have a 3 wheeler that was gifted by some members here, she is a special red patent pending. All beat up but I'll hang on to her. When I see taco grills for sale online I pass over them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.