Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Melted Cover on vent handle.  (Read 1615 times)

oldivers

• WKC Brave
Melted Cover on vent handle.
« on: June 22, 2017, 03:53:56 AM »
I just got a good deal on a performer and it was in pretty good condition except for one thing. The rubber handle on the vent melted and ran down the side of the kettle. The guy I bought it from had purchased one of the Kettle pizza accessories and told me that the grill got so hot while baking a pizza that it melted the little rubber cover on the vent handle.  Has anyone ever heard of this happening before and does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove the melted rubber from the kettle lid?

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Melted Cover on vent handle.
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 04:09:56 AM »
I'd try a razor blade first.

http://weberkettleclub.com/weber-grill-restoration-interior-and-exterior-kettle-cleaning/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 08:18:30 AM »
I think hot is an understatement, volcanic, that seems to fit better ha ha

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 08:42:01 AM »
@oldivers  -  I had that happen during a pizza cook.  Pretty sure it is because I forgot to close the vent which resulted in flames shooting out of it.  A razor blade will take it right off.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 08:48:15 AM »
I have started wood handles on fire whilst doing Kettle Pizzas. Plastic is gonna melt sooner than those wood handles started on fire. The smartest thing would have been to remove them all. Now I spritz the darkened handles with water before and while cooking.

We must stay on our toes with these Kettles boys.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 08:50:28 AM »
Sounds like the CL listed non gas assist 4th gen performer..congrats ..that was a smoking deal..

Scrape the plastic off...theres no real magic way of removing it that i know of
Grills

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 08:52:06 AM »
Blow dryer /heat gun will soften the plastic for removal..or just let it sit in the sun to warm up the mess prior to scraping
Grills