Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Confessions of a NOOB  (Read 3105 times)

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
Confessions of a NOOB
« on: March 17, 2017, 07:13:47 AM »
I had not taken a family photo since August of last year, and so I decided that for my 1000th post, I'd get my act together and take an updated photograph of my humble collection.... and also share a few stats I've kept along the way.

This was my collection back in August and I was, and still very much am, proud of my basic black OTS which was my father's, an 18" WSM, and a JJ:

This is [most of] my collection as of yesterday:I could talk about EACH of these guys for hours, and I've actually caught myself boring poor strangers by rambling on about the nuances between various vintages.  After snapping a few pics and gazing at them as a whole herd, I started to think, "Holy shit, how did this happen?"

Well, being the nerd that I am, I have a spreadsheet for that.  It's even stored in the cloud so I can access it anywhere a new acquisition may take me.  So here are some confessions:

I've driven about 8,478 total miles to pick up grills.  We love road trips.
I've had grills shipped to me from a total of 7,371 miles away.
The average age of my collection is 23 years old.  There are a few for which I'm not exactly sure of the age, so approximated.
I was only able to refrain for an average of 7.61 days between acquisitions.  This number kind of shocked me.
The average amount I paid per grill was $35.33.  I keep my eye on this number the most because I can always honestly respond to my wife when she sees a new one, "... about $30-ish."  [emoji6]  This number does not include shipping amounts, and I won't even post the total amount I've spent [emoji53], although I do track it. 

Looking at each one in my herd and thinking back to each story of how I attained it was really fun yesterday, and of course I thought about all the members that have helped me out along the way.  I am so appreciative of this club's membership.   Big thank you. 

One last little thing I wanted to share, which is kind of fun and gives me a little chuckle every time I use it; the legs off the go-anywhere make perfect paper towel holders lol. 

Alrighty, thanks for looking and have a safe St. Patrick's day. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Confessions of a NOOB
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 07:19:09 AM »
What an awesome post! Thanks for sharing and congrats on 1k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 07:24:51 AM »
Very nice collection. The details of the finds are fun to track.

That timer brings me back to the late 70s when I was a sports reporter/photographer for the local paper and spent lots of time in the dark room.

hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 07:31:38 AM »
Great pic and congrats on the 1k! You've been a great contributor to the WKC!!

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 07:37:11 AM »
That's awesome!!!  Way better 1000th post than mine. Didn't realize I hit that number, so it mighta been laden with innuendo.

The spreadsheet idea is good. I just have a hand-written inventory that I keep in a fire safe.

Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 07:54:29 AM »
What a great post. Thanks for sharing and congrats on your 1000th post. You're doing pretty good for only having weberitis for only 6 months.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 07:55:56 AM »
Awesome story,great pics and congrats on 1K
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 08:16:45 AM »
Love the lodge hanging from the ssp

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2017, 08:19:18 AM »
 Congrats on 1000 Charlie.  You have a beautiful collection. Not bad for a NOOB  :)

james1787

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2017, 08:19:42 AM »
Wow.. you went from that to that in 7 months? You have a great collection there!! (I helped get one of those to you.. 8)) I only have 2 (for now) but I'm looking around for a vintage avacado to add... the hunt is a thrill. Congrats on the 1000th post!
Seeking either 56-58 anything or Westerner

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2017, 08:43:09 AM »
Wow! that is pretty awesome. Great looking family and the story to go with it.

I thought I was the only crazy one. In less than a year for me, I am pushing past 30 Weber kettles. I have driven over 3000 miles/5000 km to pick up my Yellow from Denver Co. driving almost non stop. Countless miles/km driving to pick up. The average being 2 to 3 hrs to some taking 10 hrs to pick up. I won't be doing that anymore.  Had few kettles shipped across the boarder and from west coast Canada. I also love Zav's wood handles so much... I kind of collect them too. One of my other project is to turn few of my SJ to SJP so I can put Zav handles with metal inserts.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing more of your cooks and projects.

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2017, 09:12:13 AM »
Wow...those are some impressive numbers. 
Interesting how you kept track of all of that since the first grill.  I'd be scared to see where my numbers come out over the last 10 years...
Kettle collector AND cooker!

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2017, 10:38:00 AM »
That's great!
Congratulations on the 1000
And for the record I'd say shipping counts in the overall cost of a kettle[emoji3][emoji51]
Seriously nice collection there, I'm kinda jealous !

RottiGuy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2017, 10:45:41 AM »
Great story,great collection!!.......Thanx for sharing!!

RSHU

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2017, 11:50:49 AM »
Awesome family photo! and Congrats on the 1000th...