Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First Grilling a Disappointment  (Read 3358 times)

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: First Grilling a Disappointment
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2017, 04:15:28 PM »
You'll get it Hal, don't give up. Reverse sear is super easy and gives excellent results. Use the search feature of the WKC and find some examples.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
First Grilling a Disappointment
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2017, 05:41:42 PM »
Hey @Hal Pollner   Keep it simple. There are all kinds of ways to cook a steak. Reverse sear is my favorite, but start out straight forward. One inch thick, well marbled steak. The quality of the steak is the most important part. HOT fire. As hot as you can get it. Put the steak over the hot coals and don't move it. I like a rare to barely medium rare steak, so 2 minutes one side, flip, 2 minutes the other. Pull off and rest for a couple minutes. If you like a steak done different add a minute. Good starting point, sir.

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2017, 05:50:46 PM »
Hey @Hal Pollner   Keep it simple. There are all kinds of ways to cook a steak. Reverse sear is my favorite, but start out straight forward. One inch thick, well marbled steak. The quality of the steak is the most important part. HOT fire. As hot as you can get it. Put the steak over the hot coals and don't move it. I like a rare to barely medium rare steak, so 2 minutes one side, flip, 2 minutes the other. Pull off and rest for a couple minutes. If you like a steak done different add a minute. Good starting point, sir.

Simple huh @Travis, LOL.... Simple is salt that bad boy toss her right on top of the coals!!... LOL
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2017, 05:53:41 PM »
@varekai I've yet to rave the caveman steak. Totally want too. That IS simple!! [emoji106]

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2017, 05:55:46 PM »
@Travis, I think I've done it twice, started just for the "Holy Shit" factor, it was actually really good!..lol
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

Shaffl

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2017, 06:45:29 PM »
I will coat both sides with coarse sea or kosher salt.  After a half hour I will rinse and dry with paper towel and cook after the steak has come close to room temp.  Absolutey awesome, tender steak!  Seriously it works.

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2017, 06:38:51 PM »
Hi HAL,
With meat that is minimally cooked, quality is critical. If It's tough to start with, it's not going to get any better. Any steak cooked well done is likely to be tough too.

Another strategy is is to start with something that is normappy tough and cook in a manner that will make it tender. This is the basis of smoking brisket, ribs, pork butt... I did some corned beef brisket points yesterday. They come off the smoker at 165° and go into an oven to finish. I like to taste them when they come out of the smopker (because I can't wait ;) ) but hoo boy, are they ever tough! After a couple hours of moist heat (covered Dutch oven with a little beer) they cut like butter.

Keep trying!

Edit: I thrrow steaks right on the charcoal too. Special people I cook steaks for (SWMBO, fishin' buddy) specifically request this technique. I also buy ribeyes at Sam's Club because they are good quality.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 06:43:34 PM by HankB »
kettles, smokers...

EricD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2017, 09:55:53 AM »
You cant go wrong with any of this advice,  I am a salt and pepper guy, two zone cooking for me! But I usually reverse sear, so I keep the steaks on the cool side ,  insert a digital probe and wait till internal temp is 115 or so remove steaks and cover them with a little butter and foil meanwhile open up all vents to get a good hot fire going then sear for a couple of minutes per side till I get the internal temp I want

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I second this.  Reverse sear all the way!
22" Kettle black, 18" Kettle black,Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza oven, Maverick ET-732
ThermaPop, Grillaholics Grill Mat, PizzaQue, Kettle Rotiserrie

feeshrman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2017, 05:44:51 PM »
@varekai I've yet to rave the caveman steak. Totally want too. That IS simple!! [emoji106]

I've done it with a New York Strip and it was awesome. I don't know if I would try it with something fatty like a ribeye.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

feeshrman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2017, 05:58:01 PM »
Hey Hal, glad you found this place and are trying new things.  There are many ways to cook a good steak and everyone has an opinion.  It's all about personal preference. My opinion is to buy good quality,  well marbled beef for the best tenderness. To sear or reverse sear depends on the thickness of the steak. I like the reverse sear for cuts over 1" thick and only cook to medium rare. I usually only salt and pepper, and sometimes use a red wine dry rub.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2017, 11:31:42 PM »
Hal left the WKC. He couldn't figure how to post pics. A shame too. Interesting fella.

HiDesertHal

• WKC Brave
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2017, 06:56:32 AM »
A couple of you said it "could be the cow".

I always thought the FDA allowed only Steers to be slaughtered for public consumption, with Cows reserved only for Dairy use.

HAL
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 07:00:32 AM by HiDesertHal »

Bob R

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2017, 09:34:10 PM »
Follow the above advice on cooking.
Better cuts of meat normally give better results.
Not a fan of marinating at all. If you have a good steak properly cooked salt is all it needs in my opinion.
I keep a little Country Bob's around for Hamburger Steak, for a real steak salt and a little smoke flavor is all that I need.

Bob