Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Need some advice, gas vs charcoal roti...  (Read 1524 times)

dpb

• Happy Cooker
Need some advice, gas vs charcoal roti...
« on: March 08, 2017, 01:54:27 AM »
I have a Weber Q 2200 and a 22" kettle. I would like a rotisserie but I'm torn between one for the kettle or the Q. Can anyone with experience offer their thoughts on flavour comparison? If you are cooking indirect does it matter that much.

Obviously a gas one is more convenient and would be used more often. It's also cheaper ($180 vs $250, Aussie prices) and cheaper to run I guess.

One day I may have both but for now what do you say?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
Re: Need some advice, gas vs charcoal roti...
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 03:07:05 AM »
I have no experience with gas units, but I do have the 22" Weber rotiss... I love it! I set a drip pan directly under the meat on the coal grate, and place coals on both sides of the pan. Works great and uses very little fuel.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 03:14:40 AM »
Either way you are going to get good results, when I roto, it is usually poultry which does not involve mush smoke so either option is good. That all said, I really like my kettle roto a lot.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 05:13:43 AM »
Wow! I had no idea there was a rotisserie option for the Q grills.  Although it's probably not available here in the US.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JDann24

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 05:28:45 AM »
Wow! I had no idea there was a rotisserie option for the Q grills.  Although it's probably not available here in the US.

Same here, had no clue. That being said, either one should get the job done.
Looking for colored 18's and SJ's.

Larry

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 06:35:26 AM »
The Kettle Rotisserie can handle up to 20lb (2 whole chickens, a turkey,  2 x 10lb pork roasts , etc). I'm not sure what the capacity for the Q 2200 would be. Otherwise, I think they would both do a fantastic job.

It's always better when you're cooking on a Weber!

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 06:39:00 AM »

Pretty sure they don't make a rotisserie for the Weber Q, so that would make the decisicion an easy one.  The kettle one is tons of fun and everyone gets so excited to see it. 

Cellar2ful

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 07:05:47 AM »
The Kettle Rotisserie can handle up to 20lb (2 whole chickens, a turkey,  2 x 10lb pork roasts , etc). I'm not sure what the capacity for the Q 2200 would be. Otherwise, I think they would both do a fantastic job.

This past Thanksgiving I cooked a 25 lb turkey on my 22" rotisserie. Had planned for a 18-20 lb bird but my fresh turkey order was mixed up and that was all they had left.  There was plenty of room and the motor did not struggle at all. Just made sure it was well balanced with the counter weight. Still, I would not recommend going above the 20 lb manufacturer limit.

I have several Q's and a "couple" of kettles (lol). Using the Q, you just can't get that charcoal-smokey flavor of food cooked on a charcoal kettle.   I have spun turkeys, chickens, Cornish game hens, rib eye roasts and leg of lamb. Won't cook those particular items any other way now than on a charcoal kettle rotisserie. They are unbelievable moist due to the self basting qualities of the rotisserie.

Pretty sure they don't make a rotisserie for the Weber Q, so that would make the decisicion an easy one.  The kettle one is tons of fun and everyone gets so excited to see it. 

Agreed.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 07:11:14 AM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2017, 07:42:44 AM »

Pretty sure they don't make a rotisserie for the Weber Q, so that would make the decisicion an easy one.

...they do. Overseas, of course.

BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2017, 07:53:52 AM »
Why is everything better overseas for Weber accessories?

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2017, 08:45:19 PM »
One of my favorite cooks is Prime Rib.  It's really best on a Roti w/ a temp probe to keep it med-rare.  I LOVE a lot of smoke in everything/anything that I cook, so for me hickory wood chunks on the coals for the duration is a major concern.  In the US, used Roti's go for $50 to $150 on CL.  Don't know about the Australian version of CL.

IMHO, get the Roti for your charcoal cookers.

SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

dpb

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2017, 01:38:26 PM »
Thanks for your input guys. @ Cellar2full you practically had me salivating.

I'd like to roti mostly poultry but also had in mind a suckling pig thus the larger capacity kettle unit would make sense.

johnny 2 shack

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2017, 04:56:00 PM »
geez weber is a bizzare company , not that  need or want a gasser roti but yet another example of things they make that arn't availible in some countries but availible in others . wtf ! sell fricking everything ,mark it up i don't care ! just sell it . never seen a company afraid of money . yeesh .

EricD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2017, 09:08:42 AM »
I have an 18" kettle dedicated to the Roti.  The only difference you'll see is the taste of charcoal cooked vs gas cooked. 
Depends on your preference.

When you decide......Try a bacon wrapped pork tenderloin.  It's awesome on a Roti!
22" Kettle black, 18" Kettle black,Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza oven, Maverick ET-732
ThermaPop, Grillaholics Grill Mat, PizzaQue, Kettle Rotiserrie