Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Colored performer vs a colored stand along kettle for a dedicated kettle Pizza  (Read 3156 times)

swamprb

• WKC Performer
I pretty much am resigned to porcelain damage to the bowls of any of my REDHEADS and do take precautions to use charcoal rings and baskets.

My preferred touch up paint of choice is only rated to 500*F and even with a 2000*F base primer, it will discolor.

Once I get it dialed in its friggin' HOT, and even with a double lid on the Chop-Top Pizza kettle, the RRR paint job on the lid is starting to burn off.

The plastic handles are getting replaced with wood ones on the Chop-Top. I'll be playing around with a Pizza Que shortly on another RRR'd RED, so we'll see how that goes.

I have issues with black kettles

I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

greenweb

• WKC Performer
I have seen Red SSP, Lime, and Blue performer pizza oven but not a dark green. So maybe it is the right choice for me.

@greenweb

;D

I have used my KP on a MBH, OTG, as well as both Gen 1 and Gen 2 Performers. The KP only gets used on my SSP at this point, due to the stability and the fact that it is easier/safer to roll around, without the possibility of it falling over if I hit a rock or bump. Having the table is a giant bonus too!

I'm not worried about the porcelain on this kettle, as it has plenty of "extra" airflow already in the bowl.

Well! I meant Gen3 dark green with KP. ;D
@Jason - Wow! both SSP with the kettle pizza looks great! I like that Green  SSP with KP so much, I might have to follow suit and drop mine into SSP frame with a KP. And the my Red into Gen2 frame. Hmm.....

I pretty much am resigned to porcelain damage to the bowls of any of my REDHEADS and do take precautions to use charcoal rings and baskets.

The plastic handles are getting replaced with wood ones on the Chop-Top. I'll be playing around with a Pizza Que shortly on another RRR'd RED, so we'll see how that goes.

I have issues with black kettles

Keep us updated.

Thank you all for your insightful comments. I now feel secure in which kettle to go with, how I should set up the coal, and other issues I should be expecting with high heat cooks.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 10:51:24 AM by greenweb »