Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Colored performer vs a colored stand along kettle for a dedicated kettle Pizza  (Read 3143 times)

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Can't wait to see your pizza cooks. Gonna be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
Adrenaline needs to make a pizza insert to protect the kettles from the high heat.  @ABCbarbecue

From Mike's quote:  I don't buy into the thought that coals against the side of a kettle will damage it.  My basket setup for the Kettle Pizza is more to keep coals from under the stone.  I pour coals between the baskets and the kettle so I end up with a ton of heat directly against the kettle.

Is it really needed?

Give it some time.  After years of banking coals you will start to get crazing and it's typically on one side of the kettle.  Weber gets a little weird about banking coals as well and warns not to.  It has not stopped me though. 

Kneab

• WKC Performer
I was thinking about using my Kettle pizza on a performer SS.  Maybe not on the red because I cannot get a replacement bowl or lid in red. But I do have a black performer SS that would look good with a new blue bowl and lid. I was thinking about using the weber charcoal baskets but using 3 instead of 2 for more and safer heat instead of banking on the porcelain.

searching for a 26.

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

webbc1x

• Smokey Joe
I use my standalone as opposed to the Performer but that is because I have the PizzaQue and the clips get in the way of the roller.  My old man has the Kettle Pizza and uses his Performer regularly with it and has never had an issue with melting or popping and has had it up to 900.

JDann24

• WKC Ranger
I have a dedicated black ots that I use with the kettle pizza. I use @MikeRocksTheRed method for charcoal placement.
Looking for colored 18's and SJ's.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer

Use a redhead …. You will love it.  8)

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/pizza-forum/why-i-use-a-redhead-with-the-kp/

Here is a thread showcasing an excellent mod to help protect the possible damage to porcelain.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/r-r-r-and-another-r/
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

greenweb

• WKC Performer

Use a redhead …. You will love it.  8)

Shit! Why wasn't I thinking about Redheads with color changing scheme.  I have a Red SSP, MT, and Bar-b-kettle daisy wheel kettles I could use.   Is it too late to change.  ;D

On a side note, I will add this here for now without creating another project thread. I started working on my Gen2 Performer project with similar concept as my SSP project I just finished. Exposed frames and a custom SS table. In a preliminary stage now.  I will reveal fully when done. Just a glimpse of whats to come.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 02:52:41 PM by greenweb »

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Would the heat from baskets on the side or a slow n sear be able to cause crazing as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
To get high heat I have found only splits do it. I use 3 fairly big ones. My Pizza Kettle is a Red MT 604 sent me...it is on the beat side and is now more beat. GreenDude....there is no way I would use a nice Kettle for this purpose. Too much wear and tear man. To really kick in the whole Pizza thing you need screaming temps. Get a Black one for cheap or a Kettle that is already beat. And no nice handles or rollers....I have burned or singed mine...they start on fire if I don't soak them first...holy crap.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador

To get high heat I have found only splits do it. I use 3 fairly big ones. My Pizza Kettle is a Red MT 604 sent me...it is on the beat side and is now more beat. GreenDude....there is no way I would use a nice Kettle for this purpose. Too much wear and tear man. To really kick in the whole Pizza thing you need screaming temps. Get a Black one for cheap or a Kettle that is already beat. And no nice handles or rollers....I have burned or singed mine...they start on fire if I don't soak them first...holy crap.

I'm new to pizza and only have one cook under my belt, but I was cooking at 750 with the pizzaque and found that the bottom got done before the top. I was planning on shooting for 550-600 next time. Are you using a top deflector of some kind to help even out or am I doing it wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger

I'm new to pizza and only have one cook under my belt, but I was cooking at 750 with the pizzaque and found that the bottom got done before the top. I was planning on shooting for 550-600 next time. Are you using a top deflector of some kind to help even out or am I doing it wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

the pq sits at 700-750 for me.  no, deflectors, & i have not had any problems with top not finishing soon enough. i use the amount of briquettes recommended in instructions & add one wood chunk on each of the three sides.

question: what do you consider to be done?  the bottom will be firm (and seem done) about 1/2 way through the cook (when you rotate the pizza), but you can keep going without burning it.  you'll wind up with a nice crispy crust.  the first few pizzas you cook will only need about 5 or 6 minutes total.  the last few will be a little longer. 
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

greenweb

• WKC Performer

Thanks for the heads up! Not sure if I ever get mine to the temp you are describing, but I might.  I was thinking about using the Red SSP after I got reminded of the color change and suggested by MacEggs.  I can take off the new Zav roller, but want to keep new lid handle and the vent tab on Red. So, after your comment about burning the handle...maybe I will stick to Gen3 Dark Green Performer, which is  just as nice.   I do have several black kettles I can use but I want a colored pizza kettle.

I have seen Red SSP, Lime, and Blue performer pizza oven but not a dark green. So maybe it is the right choice for me.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 07:51:36 PM by greenweb »

thinkblue

• WKC Brave
I use my old black three wheel for my pizza Que

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
Just an FYI, I melted my gen 2 performer's rollers and coal bin in a non-pizza hot cook. Be careful.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Jason

• WKC Ranger
I have seen Red SSP, Lime, and Blue performer pizza oven but not a dark green. So maybe it is the right choice for me.

@greenweb

;D

I have used my KP on a MBH, OTG, as well as both Gen 1 and Gen 2 Performers. The KP only gets used on my SSP at this point, due to the stability and the fact that it is easier/safer to roll around, without the possibility of it falling over if I hit a rock or bump. Having the table is a giant bonus too!

I'm not worried about the porcelain on this kettle, as it has plenty of "extra" airflow already in the bowl.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 06:35:28 AM by Jason »