Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: How I fixed my SSP's lower frame  (Read 1388 times)

StrayBricks

• Smokey Joe
How I fixed my SSP's lower frame
« on: March 06, 2017, 04:21:39 AM »
I recently rescued my first stainless Performer (http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/trading-post/scored-a-decent-ss-performer-from-a-very-generic-listing/), overall it's solid but the star nuts in the lower frame were shot. I did a bunch of research and decided to use 1/4" threaded rod to pull it back together, and 7/8" washers to center the rod inside the frame.

Apparently the big box stores don't sell 1/4 x 7/8 fender washers, but I stumbled across an even better solution, rubber furniture feet. They're 7/8" across, perfect to fit inside the square tubing, and they snugly slid onto the threaded rod to stay put inside the frame.

I hacked about 3/8" off of the 36" threaded rod, screwed a couple of acorn nuts on either end, and voila.

I also replaced the busted casters, Lowes sells a two-pack of perfect replacement / upgrades.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 04:42:24 AM by StrayBricks »

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: How I fixed my SSP's lower frame
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 05:34:09 AM »
That's an awesome fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

w3ber

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 06:46:52 AM »
I like it StrayBricks Nice job!
Green SSP x2 DD DA / 22.5 Blk bowl, Red lid (Rescued) / Jumbo Joe / 18.5 N / / SJ100 / UDS 55 /\ Gas Weber Genesis Gold /\ Weber Fire Pit

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 06:50:15 AM »
Brilliant!
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 07:00:19 AM »
Nice work on it! Any reason for not using star nuts?

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 07:32:00 AM »
I used a threaded rod many years ago, when one of the star nuts in my frame rusted and came loose.  This year, when I redid my frame, I ditched the threaded rod and went with star nuts.  It really depends on which look one wants.  Both ways work well, although your rubber furniture feet idea is genius.   
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 07:42:44 AM »
Love it.  When I used a threaded I'd on one of my SSPs it really firmed up the frame.  If I do one again I'm using you method, thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

StrayBricks

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 08:30:52 AM »
1. I'm lazy and didn't want to put the effort into sourcing them locally. I was trying to do it with spare parts I already had, gave up on that and was aiming for the washers when I found the feets.
B. I came to like the idea of the clamping force being at both ends of the rod, rather than relying on the friction fit of the star nuts.
III. All four star nuts were shot so I didn't feel obligated to try to match the original hardware. I don't care if I have four silver nuts hanging off the ends, it's a cooker.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 08:34:50 AM by StrayBricks »

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 08:42:17 AM »
1. ...
B.....
III....

LOL... you are channeling your inner Buzz McCallister
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 08:54:39 AM »
1. I'm lazy and didn't want to put the effort into sourcing them locally. I was trying to do it with spare parts I already had, gave up on that and was aiming for the washers when I found the feets.
B. I came to like the idea of the clamping force being at both ends of the rod, rather than relying on the friction fit of the star nuts.
III. All four star nuts were shot so I didn't feel obligated to try to match the original hardware. I don't care if I have four silver nuts hanging off the ends, it's a cooker.

Got you! I really like the rubber feet idea to center the rod but once the rod is thru and tightened the rubber feet or inside washer provides no real purpose imo.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2017, 09:03:19 AM »
Love it.  When I used a threaded I'd on one of my SSPs it really firmed up the frame.  If I do one again I'm using you method, thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

This method is great and I would consider it if the frame ends were so rusty that star nuts would not hold. IMO, thinking this method is stronger or better is misconception. Once the star nut holds and tightened with a bolt, compression load between 2 joined frame is STRONG. Star nuts are exclusively used on Motorcycle and bicycle front ends on the forks and other frame parts that require tremendous amount of forces applied.  Nothing compared to holding SSP frame together.......No need to go to plan B if a plan A works just fine. 
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 09:09:52 AM by greenweb »