Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Flame boss  (Read 4954 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Flame boss
« on: February 22, 2017, 01:10:31 PM »
I just ran across this.  Title should read "How to ruin a brand new weber kettle"  :o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g7cbmQQZnQ

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Flame boss
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 01:15:29 PM »
He also said in the comments that he left the top vent CLOSED the entire cook and only the probes for the wires running between the bowl and the lid were is upper air gap. 

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 01:52:30 PM »
I'd rather run my vents the way they were intended. Best of luck to him though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RottiGuy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 02:51:39 PM »
My thoughts exactly.

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 03:40:37 PM »
Ditto!
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 04:46:34 PM »
Wth. For much less cost I can get an 18.5 WSM on CL and use it as is.
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

JDann24

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 06:44:21 PM »
Similar to the PartyQ.
Looking for colored 18's and SJ's.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Flame boss
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 07:26:44 PM »
The problem is not necessarily the product, but the execution.  Anyone who has tried cooking with the top vent completely shut knows that causes soot to settle on the food. The gap the probe wires create under the lid is not enough to prevent this. The fact that this video is from flameboss indicates to me they don't know how to cook with charcoal. That's not confidence inspiring for their product.

Edit:  just looked at the price.  That's insanity.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 07:32:59 PM by HoosierKettle »

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 03:22:05 AM »
The problem is not necessarily the product, but the execution.  Anyone who has tried cooking with the top vent completely shut knows that causes soot to settle on the food. The gap the probe wires create under the lid is not enough to prevent this. The fact that this video is from flameboss indicates to me they don't know how to cook with charcoal. That's not confidence inspiring for their product.

Edit:  just looked at the price.  That's insanity.

Are you all familiar with how an ATC works with most pits?

This is a quote from the BBQ Guru instruction manual for the DigiQ

The top damper functions differently with a fan-controlled system than with a natural-draft system. Where the fan damper controls the amount of air flowing into the smoker, the top damper influences the amount of air flowing out. We recommend keeping the top damper as little as possible in order to retain heat and smoke in the cooking chamber, consistent with reaching the desired cooking temperature.

This is how I've always ran my Backwoods, BGE's and WSM's after seeing Shotgun Fred years ago doing a BBQ Guru demo. John Jackson from Stoker was at a Rhythm 'n Que BBQ Class I attended and we talked about top vent openings with his ATC - he didn't seem to have an opinion one way or another and Vince liked to run his top vents slightly open.

So Flame Boss guy likes to cook with his kettle vent closed - and he feels that he gets enough air flow through the gap between the lid and bowl with the probe wires. Whatever works.

The notion that you'll get soot on your food isn't a valid argument with an ATC.
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 04:16:08 AM »
My apologies to flameboss. I didn't know that's how these devices were designed to work.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2017, 06:50:35 AM »
No intention to hurt anyone, butt if you learn your kettle, you don't need that contraption. Save the money for food and charcoal. Just sayin'...
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2017, 07:08:52 AM »

No intention to hurt anyone, butt if you learn your kettle, you don't need that contraption. Save the money for food and charcoal. Just sayin'...

+1

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
Flame boss
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2017, 10:38:02 AM »
I know nothing of the Flame Boss but my BBQ GURU PartyQ has really came in handy with my 26er. I'd probably use briquettes, otherwise, but I really prefer the flavor of lump when smoking low and slow with the Minion method.

I chose to cut a hole in mine, but I understand that it also can be installed at the top vent. I really haven't experimented much with different top vent positions, typically running it at about 40% open since that grill has exceptional  lid to bowl fit.

Here's my rib cook the other day with 100% lump, a few small cherry and one pecan chunk, and no water pan.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 10:49:32 AM by kettlecook »

SteveZ

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2017, 11:02:41 AM »

The Ultimate Flame Boss!!!
SSP Caribique, Black 2nd Generation Performer, 2018 Green Performer, 1970 MBH 26 Black (Fleetwood) with Roti, 1965 Thumb Screw 49er, (2) Black 18 OTG, 2017 Black Master Touch, Black Genesis Silver B.  E code 14 WSM, AH code 18 WSM, AH code 22 WSM,

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2017, 11:52:10 AM »

The Ultimate Flame Boss!!!

I could get on board with that [emoji3]