Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pulled Pork Belly and Cracklings  (Read 1158 times)

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
Pulled Pork Belly and Cracklings
« on: January 26, 2017, 06:35:00 AM »
Started with a 13 pound belly and cut that in half . One half I injected with Jalapeņo butter then I rubbed it down with a Cajun seasoning . The other half simple sea salt and cracked pepper.

Most recipes for Pulled belly have you score the fat cap and nothing more , I wanted to make cracklings with the cap so the skin got some rub as well.

Set the smoker up to run at 250 with 3-4 chucks of hickory wood and no water in the pan , target temp 203 or until it probed like butter , that took about 41/2 hrs

Foiled and rested  the belly in a cooler for about two hours , when it was time to serve I threw the belly on the gas grill, fat cap side down in the foil to crisp it up some , I'll finish the cracklings in the fryer at some point .

The meat is succulent and the best part of the hog hands down , if you haven't tackled a belly yet I encourage you to give it a shot .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: Pulled Pork Belly and Cracklings
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 06:46:01 AM »
Wow this looks awesome.  I would have never thought to pull the meat in a pork belly.  It's giving me a few ideas.  I've been thinking about rendering down my own pork fat to make lard to use when searing in my cast iron.  I'm thinking I could do exactly what you did, but with no rub on the fat cap.  Once it's done smoking, pull the meat off of it, then render the fat cap down to make a nice smoked lard.  One downside of sous vide is losing some smoke flavor, but I'd imaging sear on cast iron with smoked lard might  make up for that!!!!!   Maybe combine that with some smoked butter to put in the sous vide bag.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 07:44:48 AM »
Holy heavenly pork that looks good. Cooking a pork belly will consume my thoughts until I try one.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 12:39:05 PM »
Thanks for sharing that cook. That pork surely does look succulent! I'm heading to Costco in a few and will have a look at those belly's again.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 02:34:48 PM »
Nice!
I bet that pulled was incredible

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 10:21:31 AM »
I LIKE THAT!!!!! Never thought to make a pulled belly. But, I definitely will soon.