Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: WSM 18 Performer SS  (Read 4644 times)

Kneab

• WKC Performer
WSM 18 Performer SS
« on: January 20, 2017, 09:31:56 AM »
After years cooking on Weber kettles I finally pulled the trigger on a WSM 18 at Cabela's before xmas. I have cooked on it a couple of times but did not like that isn't on wheels. I also have been watching videos on YouTube about how to cook on it and saw people had mounted them on different dollies and carts and such. Having restored a couple of gasser carts and owning a Performer SS already I started thinking about building a cart to mount it on for several reasons.
Raising it up makes it a little more user friendly, a table would make using it easier having a place for prep, and adding the wheels to make it easier to move around instead of disassembling to move/set up.
I had sent a pm to @Jeepin79 about the Performer SS he was parting out a while back about picking up his frame for parts to rebuild an old Genesis 1  gasser frame. In the meantime I ran across a few other gassers and made some of the parts I needed to rebuild the frames. I never managed to setup a time to pick up the frame. But that was before I had the WSM or the WSM Performer SS thought. So I sent @Jeepin79 another pm asking what was left of the frame that had been offered up to the WKC. What was left was enough to get started on my build.
The top frame had 3 out of  brackets broken off.

The lower frame had been repaired with angle brackets and rivets.

And the stainless steel tops.

The upper frame with the brackets welded back on.

Rivet holes welded shut.

Mock up with new crossmembers and temporary wood platform. No wheels or casters yet.

Two coats of brown Rust Oleum primer.

Two coats of Rust Oleum industrial gloss black paint.
I made a new axle, also new hinge for SS lid, found some 8" Weber wheels in the boneyard, a newer Genesis  gasser badge, SS tool hooks from a gasser and bought some new Weber casters at the hardware store.
I also had a piece of stainless steel bent for my lower shelf.

Hold downs to keep her in place.

Thanks to @Jeepin79 for the frame, thank you @pbe gummi bear @Jeff & a few others that have posted similar builds.

searching for 1 18" straight lip twist ash pan.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 01:28:24 PM by Kneab »
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: WSM 18 Performer SS
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 09:36:25 AM »
Great job, @Kneab.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 09:46:42 AM »
That's gorgeous! Great job, man. Real good documenting on this project. [emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 09:55:07 AM »
I dig the SSWSM mod! Save this one for mod month 2017

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 10:03:58 AM »
That looks great, @Kneab ! Love the SS bottom shelf, and that you raised your WSM. Awesome.
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 10:17:04 AM »
Save this one for mod month 2017

Coming this Fall to a workshop butchershop near you...
Retired

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 10:54:48 AM »
I love the SSShelf too!!  Way cool. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 12:20:56 PM »
Nice Marty!

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 12:36:15 PM »
Mock up was lower. What changed your mind to mount higher?  Looks nice.

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2017, 01:42:10 PM »
Thanks everyone 🙋

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 01:44:32 PM »
Mock up was lower. What changed your mind to mount higher?  Looks nice.

I raised it up enough for the door to go flat when opened. I just mocked it up shorter out of fear that the 1 month old WSM might fall off the stack of 2×4's
Still only 57" tall.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 01:59:17 PM by Kneab »
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

bear

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2017, 07:24:45 PM »
OH YES!

Inspirational magnified!

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2017, 08:01:16 PM »
Nice! Looks Awesome, but isn't it kinda high?

I'm 6'2" and even with the 18's mounted on the bottom frame it was a PITA to get to meats on the lower grate.

I'm just guessing but the s/s table is at least 6" ?? above the bottom frame?  I'm just speaking from experience here YMMV.

Just as my Cajun Bandit Kettle Conversion looks good on the Performer, its not really user friendly due to its height.

Keep us posted on your cooks with the 18" Performer. I love what you did with it. I would have done a fold down s/s table on the front. Its what I envisioned for my dual 18" cart.

I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2017, 01:31:29 AM »
Love the hold downs, love the stainless table.  Very jealous of your mechanical skills (along with a bunch of other grillfellas here).
Great job.  Is there a reason you used the brown primer first or is that just what was laying around?
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2017, 03:47:24 AM »
Nice! Looks Awesome, but isn't it kinda high?

I'm 6'2" and even with the 18's mounted on the bottom frame it was a PITA to get to meats on the lower grate.

I'm just guessing but the s/s table is at least 6" ?? above the bottom frame?  I'm just speaking from experience here YMMV.

Just as my Cajun Bandit Kettle Conversion looks good on the Performer, its not really user friendly due to its height.

Keep us posted on your cooks with the 18" Performer. I love what you did with it. I would have done a fold down s/s table on the front. Its what I envisioned for my dual 18" cart.
Thank you for your compliments and suggestions. I thought about setting it at the bottom shelf height and the door at the left side for access but I wanted the door to be even with the table for propping it open if I want to try hot and fast cooks. The height doesn't seem too bad yet. I smoked up some wings, drums and ABT's last night in it. I figure if it is too high I can always lower it or I can shorten the legs on the cart or drill a new axle hole and remove the casters to get 2 inches down. Also I was thinking brisket and pork butts need to be left alone for long periods of time without opening the lid. The swing up shelf is still in my mind also either cutting board or SS.  Possibly a flip down step on the axle end. What is the weight capacity of a 20 yr old 8" Weber wheels?

ISO Brown Go Anywhere