Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Breaking In The Beast  (Read 2033 times)

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
Breaking In The Beast
« on: January 18, 2017, 11:22:59 AM »
Picked up a DE code Black 26er last week from L.B. in Detroit and have been gushing ever since. I love this thing. It is a Beast....so I decided to name it that. Having a welded porcelain top handle is a selling point for me. Add in the bail system for the heavy as heck lid and bingo. I have a 67 Red 26er and the lid is about half as heavy as this one. No idea why but the radiant heat this baby is gonna throw make this baby a Beast and then some. Why this era lid is so bloody heavy I have no idea...but I have held a newer one and do not think it was nearly as heavy as this thing....it makes my tendinitis flare up sometimes.

After some cleaning of the inside of the bowl and cooking grate I did a 10 hour seasoning cook where I coated the cooking grate in bacon fat several times. A couple days ago I did a rib cook.........

A pair of back ribs coated in olive oil and a rub featuring five different chili peppers. Grate temp was around 280f for the cook. An hour and a half naked then the same amount of time in foil with Parkay. Apricot jam, brown sugar and hot sauce. Then naked again with bbq sauce:

Today I am doing 3 bone in pork butt roasts. I have enough presold to cover the cost of the meat:

I picked up a Avocado 18 from L.B. as well. Today was the day I cleaned the rim of the lid up:

There was so much buildup of gunk around the outside of the rim I figured it was rim rash. Wrong. You gotta love a Weber boys.

After a couple hours or so the meat goes in pans:

I wanted to see the new Green with the other Citrus versions:

I will update when the meat finishes.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 12:10:17 PM by MrHoss »
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: Breaking In The Beast
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 11:25:42 AM »
I love it!  A 26er is a game changer as far as space is concerned.  Add a DIY second grate and the sky's the limit.  Great pics and some yummy looking pork!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 11:53:20 AM »
I'm getting so pissed at my inadequate smoke ring. And I don't want to see any quotes from amazing ribs about the smoke ring doesn't matter.

Those look incredible.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 11:55:28 AM »
I'm getting so pissed at my inadequate smoke ring. And I don't want to see any quotes from amazing ribs about the smoke ring doesn't matter.

Those look incredible.

You should start a new thread about this.  I'd be curious to see everyones thoughts on this.  Temp of meat when added to grill, water pan, amount of smoke, length of time smoke is used, etc..
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 11:57:30 AM »
That's a sweet line up you have there Hoss.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 12:04:13 PM »
My beer of the day for drinking and basting:

I figure this is the final flip and that I will be foiling in an hour or so....soon as my fat side crisps up again:

Just before foiling:

Edit:

Pulled:

« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 07:44:49 PM by MrHoss »
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 02:35:54 PM »
Great lineup Hoss. Food looks great. Grills look great. Just a damn fine day there. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 03:11:17 PM »
Bravo sir!
It's pretty amazing seeing those three pork butts on the 26er. What was the weight of them bad boys?
Pre sold to cover the cost of the meat...now that gives me some ideas

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 03:14:53 PM »
Amazing collection! I want a DE 26er to match my DE OTG

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

sinisterdonut

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2017, 04:51:00 PM »
Good looking food and grills sir

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2017, 05:13:48 PM »
Sorry for the double clutch reply. WhaI meant to say was how envious I was of this collection!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 11:01:59 PM by captjoe06 »
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2017, 07:06:19 PM »
Great lineup Hoss. Food looks great. Grills look great. Just a damn fine day there. Cheers

+ 1    Very cool!

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2017, 07:55:32 PM »
Dammit Hoss!
.. grills and food looks great.
And that brew seems pretty interesting

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2017, 07:58:49 PM »
Thanks Capt Joe. On deck for the new 26er is a batch of beans.

Edit:

4 cans Original Bush's Beans, 10 pieces bacon cut up and fried crispy, a cup and a half yellow onions and a equal amount red pepper fried in the bacon fat for about 10 minutes, a large can pineapple cubed up, some bbq sauce, some garlic, some beer:

I smoke these till the pineapple chunks soften some. Any more than that the whole mess turns mushy:

I will work in some pulled pork and depending how much moisture is lost some more beer too. Making clean smoke with this 26er is probably easier than any other cooker I have ever used...Kettle or not. Holy crap boys this thing is a breeze. You would have to be stupid and overload the thing with too much wood or punky wood to make it burn dirty. I love me my Webers but this thing....this Beast.....it's like she's my soulmate or something. Sure she was used before and comes preseasoned but I cleaned very well.....the smoke ring and exhaust smell are already impressive......I plan on using this cooker extensively....damn:

Damn beautiful boys:

Just bury me in this one.

Edit:

Smoked for a couple hours then some pulled pork is mixed in:

« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 11:46:00 AM by MrHoss »

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2017, 10:08:48 AM »
Love the handle on the new 26er.  If I ever come across one, I'm picking it up in a heartbeat.  I love my Wood Dale Fleetwood and Ambassador, but a 26er with One Touch and an Ash bucket would be a game-changer...Great cooks too!
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!