Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Question about pulled pork  (Read 4103 times)

Jon

• WKC Ranger
Re: Question about pulled pork
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2017, 11:08:37 PM »
Imo pulling the meat @195 gives you inconsistent tenderness. There are a lot of muscles in a pork butt and they won't all be soft at that temp- especially if it just hit that temp and hasn't rested. Take your butt off the shoulder at 205, foil it, and hold it in an insulated container until you're ready to pull it and serve. Oh and +1 for going by feel or buy when the bone pops out. You can use a skewer or thermapen to check for tenderness. Note that will take a lot of practice.

Right on. It isn't a temp, it is about tenderness. You can foil at the stall (probably about 170) to speed things up, but you need to cook the pork until the bone twists easily, and a fork put into the meat twists and pulls the meat with little effort.

That's if you are cooking and serving. If you have to hold the meat, yeah, put it a cooler  - but it will keep cooking unless you let it cool down on the counter below 150. (but not below 140 for more than a couple hours.)

Crap. I didn't address your original question. It's not the vinegar, or the outer fat - just cook it up until the meat is loose on the bone and let it cool enough where you can stand to pull it without burning your fingers and pull it. It will be good.

BBQFiend

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2017, 10:46:31 AM »
I tried smoking a picnic butt over the weekend. It was under 4lbs so I figured it would only take 8hrs.  :o I was way wrong. I finally got my slow n sear figured out and in 13hrs I only had to adjust the vents on my Weber 22 Kettle 4 times. The temperature never went above 260 and only went below 200 when I had to add more charcoal and water. I pulled it at 195 and the meat was very juicy once I pulled it. There wasn't a ton of drippings so I didn't have much to mix in. I made some of Meathead's Lexington Mop sauce. That was really good and gave the meat a nice kick and consistency. I'll be keeping that stuff around for awhile.

Sorry there are no pictures. It was eaten pretty quickly.
Weber 22" Kettle Grill

bbquy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2017, 02:55:04 PM »
Hi everyone,
I have been away from the site for quite a while and have really missed it! It's nice to back and will be checking in often. I have continued to be very active in grilling and smoking.

bbquy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2017, 03:06:51 PM »
I use that exact same method as gummi bear. Good luck with everything!

jrudmanjr

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2017, 12:03:28 PM »
Hot and fast for pulled pork is the way to go for me. 8hrs. total time from grill to plate. Watched a few you tube vids and I was good to go.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Lemans

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2017, 05:15:22 AM »
Here is my 2cents... I usually buy the twin pack from Sam's . Wash in cold water and dry . I run
My hand over the surface to make sure there are no bits of bone hanging around. Then I inject with apple juice and apple cider vinegar.i apply my rub and place them in a disposable pan. On the WSM
at 250 +\- with apple and cherry wood.  After two hours,I spritz with more apple-vinegar mixture
And insert my temp probe. Then every hour I spritz until the IT hits 160-170 then pour 1/2 cup of apple juice in each and cover with foil until I hit 205. Then I pull em and check for "doneness "
 Buy this time the bone will just fall out. I put on the counter and let it REST for 2 hours.
 Now they are fat cap down from the beginning of the cook so it jus peels away from the meat.
The au jui is poured into a separator and is drizzled over the pork  after it is pulled.
  I take out any "klumps" of fat so no one gets anything but meat and bark!!
 Never had a dry one.. and never finish in the oven..
but that's just me.. if it works your way do it!!
  Just  my 2 cents
I can't stop lovin my Weber!!!
2-22 WSM, 22.5 gold, 22.5 MT code EE Red Head ,22.5 AH in Green ,18 silver , Green SSP code EI,Weber Ranch,mini WSM black,4-smokey joes black, lime, copper, crimson Sjg  IQ120 electric 22.5 silver economy 2004..that makes 15. I know WEBERITIS !!

Mark4mn

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2017, 07:08:38 AM »
I take prom from Q between 200 and 205. I tightly double wrap with heavy duly aluminum foil and rest it for 4 hours in an ice chest. IMO, the meat resorbs quite a bit of the juice. Using this method, I have never had the pleasure of dry pork.

Mark
22.5 Performer Deluxe, Chargriller Outlaw, Smokey Mountain 22, Smokin-it #3,
Camerons stovetop smoker
More Lodge cast iron than I will ever admit to