Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cold Weather Smoking with a Kettle?  (Read 2945 times)

Snyperx

• Happy Cooker
Cold Weather Smoking with a Kettle?
« on: January 12, 2017, 06:51:28 AM »
Can someone give me the skinny of cold weather smoking with a kettle? Is it even possible? Being I am located in Wisconsin I would guess that anything below 40 degrees isn't recommended. Can some folks chime in? Thanks!!

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Cold Weather Smoking with a Kettle?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 07:01:23 AM »
Cold weather smoking, grilling or anything is fine. Just uses more fuel and more time. Whatcha' cookin?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 07:10:51 AM »

Cold weather smoking, grilling or anything is fine. Just uses more fuel and more time. Whatcha' cookin?

+1. No problem. I just smoked a pork butt last weekend. The day started at 0 degrees and got up to 17 for the high. That was an a wsm but a kettle would have worked just as well. Vents open and more fuel than what you would do when it's warm.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 07:42:07 AM »
Just be sure to turn the lid vent down wind. You don't want the wind gusting right into the lid vent stoking the coals. You can do it!

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 07:43:52 AM »
I've been wondering the same thing since its been in the mid to upper 40's out here in the mornings recently!  LMAO!!!!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Snyperx

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 07:51:00 AM »

Hoping to try a pork butt or maybe a chicken. Just getting my feet wet as far as smoking goes.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 08:54:41 AM »
The first two in this story were done in a pouring rainstorm.....not super cold, but not really summer weather either........

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/bbq-food-pics/nothing-new-just-some-pork-beans/msg26001/#msg26001

Fire up....the kettle can do it!!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Ted B

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 09:59:34 AM »
I've run 4 wsms in 5 degree weather. They were out of the wind under a screened in porch. Worked just fine. More fuel and wind protection are biggest concerns.

zak

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2017, 10:11:42 AM »
No problem, I did a brisket for x-mas last year on my kettle using the snake method and it was only about 10 degrees outside. Light em' up!

Sent from my SM-T113 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

buttman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2017, 10:13:51 AM »

More fuel and wind protection are biggest concerns.

Agreed. Cold+wind=more fuel

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2017, 10:37:51 AM »
I just recently did an overnight brisket (Dec. 23-24) on the kettle for Christmas eve supper.

It was around the freezing mark or slightly lower, with plenty of wind.  Got 9 hours from the snake, then finished it in the oven.

Cold weather smoking ?..?? …. Just do it.  You will be pleased with the results.
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2017, 10:46:34 AM »
Its a Weber man, the kettle can handle it!

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2017, 10:50:26 AM »
I did a 17pound brisket for xmas eve on my new 18.5 wsm. Fully loaded ring of 200 Stubb's briquettes and 8 oak blocks ran for 12 hrs. At 250° I don't remember exactly what the temperature was that day in the suburbs of Chicago. Kettle or wsm are fine in the cold. Like everyone else mentioned it may just consume slightly more charcoal. I also run water pan filled with aluminum foil balls and a foil cover on water bowl. No water=less fuel consumption. The foil in the bowl works great.

searching for 2 18" straight lip twist ash pans.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 10:52:31 AM by Kneab »
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

wrehfield

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2017, 11:47:05 AM »
 I have a three and a half pound chuck on the Weber 22.5 Platinum
right now. Went on at ten am. No wind, plenty cold. No problem.
Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Cold Weather Smoking with a Kettle?
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2017, 11:58:51 AM »
I did a 17pound brisket for xmas eve on my new 18.5 wsm. Fully loaded ring of 200 Stubb's briquettes and 8 oak blocks ran for 12 hrs. At 250° I don't remember exactly what the temperature was that day in the suburbs of Chicago. Kettle or wsm are fine in the cold. Like everyone else mentioned it may just consume slightly more charcoal. I also run water pan filled with aluminum foil balls and a foil cover on water bowl. No water=less fuel consumption. The foil in the bowl works great.

searching for 2 18" straight lip twist ash pans.

I ran an empty water pan just foiled. Top vent and 2 bottom vent wide open and 1  bottom vent closed. That was after 2 hours. First 2 hours all vents open. Started with a full chimney of lump and a half full ring of unlit kbb. Held very steady. Heck, it's almost easier when it's cold.  I did have to add fuel half way.