Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Charcoal Storage  (Read 1353 times)

Jeepin79

• WKC Brave
Charcoal Storage
« on: January 07, 2017, 09:16:57 AM »
May be a dumb question but here in the midwest its crazy cold currently and it got me thinking.  Does the cold effect unused charcoal?  I have 6 or 8 bags, some is in my heated garage but the rest is in my shed, obviously not heated and out in the cold.  Does storing it in the cold "hurt" it at all or am I good to leave it out there?

1ROW

• WKC Brave
Re: Charcoal Storage
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 09:24:53 AM »
Midwest here as well. I bought over 1/2 ton of kbb 2 summers ago during one of the sales and stacked it in my unheated shed. Still have 15-20 bags left. No issues with it at all. As long as it's dry it should last for a very long time.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 09:44:28 AM »
Midwest here as well. I bought over 1/2 ton of kbb 2 summers ago during one of the sales and stacked it in my unheated shed. Still have 15-20 bags left. No issues with it at all. As long as it's dry it should last for a very long time.

+1
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 10:00:52 AM »
I'd think as long as you are below freezing it might actually make the charcoal better.  It shouldn't absorb any moisture and would most likely have a little evaporation going on!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 10:43:02 AM »
+2
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

Easy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 06:02:26 PM »
I did the big buy two years ago and have it in my shed on a old pallet. 
No issues as said just keep it dry.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 05:08:52 AM »
A couple guys I cook with had bags of the Original KBB stored in an unheated shipping container and on the concrete pad in a garage and all the bags on the floor had a green/grey/white mold on the briqs. They both cater and have bigass Klose pits and used a full 20lb bag to start the pit before adding log splits. They didn't have a problem with it.

We cooked a comp and they brought the KBB and we were using WSM's and I wouldn't have it my pits. Luckily a Home Depot was nearby.

I store my fuel in an unheated shed and rotate that stuff. YMMV
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!