Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pitmaster IQ 110 - the numbers don't lie.  (Read 1995 times)

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
Pitmaster IQ 110 - the numbers don't lie.
« on: January 02, 2017, 08:54:52 AM »
I've had my pitmaster iq for two years and my relationship with it is somewhat love hate. Yesterday was my first cook with the IQ and an igrill so I could track the temp.

The bad: My personal opinion is that the fan  alone isn't strong enough to heat up WSM. Especially in cold weather.I still needed to crack the other two vents.

the probe on mine reads 300 when my maverick and igrill both read 275. I need to trick it to get my target temp.

Also when you take of the lid, it doesn't always reset properly. I've found the "lid off" mode can get derailed and it's better to unplug when removing the smoker lid and replug once the lid is back on.

The good:
Once I got to my target temp and made the one vent adjustment noted above these were the results:

The smoker held a rock solid 275 for four hours without any interdiction from me. ( the two dips were lid off for foiling and removal of foil).

Also the temp rebounded VERY quickly when lid was back on.

At the end of the day the IQ is far from perfect but it's pretty hard to complain about the consistency of the temp.

The graph confirms what I have felt. The IQ is not great at reaching target temp, but it will hold a target temp well, even if thinks its holding a different temp altogether.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
Re: Pitmaster IQ 110 - the numbers don't lie.
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 09:18:15 AM »
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the IQ.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Lemans

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 10:41:22 AM »
I have been using the IQ120 for about two years now
And I agree the fan is a little wimpy for really cold weather,
And you have to start with a small fire. That being said
I think it's a good unit does the job ..
 As far as thermometer... lots of luck trying to get two to match!!
I can't stop lovin my Weber!!!
2-22 WSM, 22.5 gold, 22.5 MT code EE Red Head ,22.5 AH in Green ,18 silver , Green SSP code EI,Weber Ranch,mini WSM black,4-smokey joes black, lime, copper, crimson Sjg  IQ120 electric 22.5 silver economy 2004..that makes 15. I know WEBERITIS !!

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 05:08:26 PM »
I have been using the IQ120 for about two years now
And I agree the fan is a little wimpy for really cold weather,
And you have to start with a small fire. That being said
I think it's a good unit does the job ..
 As far as thermometer... lots of luck trying to get two to match!!

I don't bother. I just get the smoker to my true target temp and set the iq to stay there.
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP