Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Another Sous Vide cook - 2" NY strips  (Read 1314 times)

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Another Sous Vide cook - 2" NY strips
« on: December 29, 2016, 10:24:01 AM »
After getting caught up on the forums today and seeing so many sous vide cooks I figured I have to share mine from last week. 

Safeway had whole NY strip Roast on sales for $3.97/lb so I had to take advantage.  I had he butcher slice it into 2" steaks.  I would probably go 1.5" next time as each steak averaged out to 2.3lbs. 

I sous vide at 140 for a little over 2 hours with some of the steak seasoning @zak got me for Secret Santa.  That seasoning was awesome by the way and I've used it a few times already.   

I was helping my girlfriends brother in law watch the 2 and 4 year olds while he girls were out for the evening.  Sous vide was the way to go so we could get the meat bathing and not worry about it until he put the kids to bed.  When Dennis headed back to out the kids in their Pj's and into bed around 7:30 I fired up a chimney money in my 99 three wheeler I keep at his place and then into the vortex the coals went.  Dennis fired up his summit gasser to get a skillet going.   He wasn't interested in vortex searing for his steak.  He always finishes steak and burger in screaming hot cast iron with pork lard. 

Unfortunately I didn't get any pics of the 2 steaks I did on the vortex or his steak in the skillet while it happened.  All of the steaks were amazing!  The only finished pic we got was of the skillet seared steak and it looks like a steakhouse did it.  My vortex steaks were really good too. 

Severed up with some Brussels sprouts done undercut in my three wheeler and some ceases salad.   

Now for the pics!

Post sous vide....ready to hit the grill/skillet

For searing I leave the lid off of the grill once I fill the vortex so it gets screaming hot.  The steak is already to temp so I don't need overall heat, just screaming hot under the meat. I guess I didn't forget to take an action shot!

The skillet seared steak Dennis did on his gasser.  Pan was between 600-700 degrees.

When I realized I hadn't taken any finished pics of the steaks...I was into the chewing around the bone stage at this point.

Dennis and I finished our steaks. Regan's Dad who was also there that night finished half of his then sliced the leftovers the next day for cheesesteaks. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 10:28:44 AM by MikeRocksTheRed »
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
Another Sous Vide cook - 2" NY strips
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 10:40:24 AM »
Thanks for sharing another SV cook!  I can see how an SV would come in handy when time is at a premium. 

What a deal on those steaks!  I also like that you keep a spare three-wheeler at his place. 

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
Re: Another Sous Vide cook - 2" NY strips
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 10:42:55 AM »
Thanks for sharing another SV cook!  I can see how an SV would come in handy when time is at a premium. 

What a deal on those steaks! I also like that you keep a spare three-wheeler at his place. 

So does my girlfriend!  The only reason she didn't punch me in the face when I got that one was because I told her where it was going and that it would be staying there!  He has a Egg, and custom made wood fired pizza oven and a nice Summit gasser, but I wanted a kettle over there for when I am cooking!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 10:44:33 AM »
Oh, here is the season I used that @zak gave me.

zak

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 01:46:01 PM »
Oh, here is the season I used that @zak gave me.

Good, glad you like it. It's a local rub, shipshawana is an Amish attraction/area near me. They've got some good stuff over there. Their apple butter is amazing.

Sent from my SM-T113 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

RumBar

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2016, 02:40:09 PM »
The Happy Salt is great in popcorn too! It's great on anything.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2016, 03:37:34 PM »
Looks killer for sure man. I like how you got it  bone on, and [emoji106][emoji106]for keeping a kettle at your families house

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2016, 02:20:39 AM »
Great looking cook Mike

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2016, 04:52:49 AM »
Awesome looking steaks!