Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Help Mounting My UnknownBBQ Hinge  (Read 1165 times)

Snyperx

• Happy Cooker
Help Mounting My UnknownBBQ Hinge
« on: December 18, 2016, 07:48:57 AM »
I got my UnknownBBQ hinge for my 22.5" kettle. Excellent piece of hardware!! The thing is I am not sure where to mount it in relation to the lid. Does anyone on here have a hinge on one of the newest 22.5" kettles and if so a pic of how you mounted it? Thanks!!

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
Re: Help Mounting My UnknownBBQ Hinge
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 05:53:15 AM »
Did you read the directions...?
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 06:38:40 AM »
Sorry it's unknown.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

RobInHell

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 08:04:47 AM »
I got my UnknownBBQ hinge for my 22.5" kettle. Excellent piece of hardware!! The thing is I am not sure where to mount it in relation to the lid. Does anyone on here have a hinge on one of the newest 22.5" kettles and if so a pic of how you mounted it? Thanks!!
Looking from the top of the grill lid, with the thermometer at the six o'clock position:

Mount the hinge at nine o'clock, directly in the centerline of where your lid holder would be.

Why put it there? Simple. You can remove the lid holder (it's worthless), and lift the lid in exactly the same place. If you put it on the back of the grill, you will need clearance behind the grill to either open the lid or have the bracket hit something behind it.
Block the holes which held the lid holder in place with stainless steel hardware.

I used double-sided auto trim tape to hold it in place and make adjustments before drilling holes. Cut the tape so it doesn't block the bracket holes. Put masking tape on the grill before putting the bracket in place. You want that masking tape for your drilling marks, center punching, and to ensure your drill bit doesn't "walk" when you start the holes. Be sure to remove all of the tape so you don't have a smoking, gooey blob dripping out & staining everything.

Leave the lid on your grill when doing all of the adjustments. Once you are satisfied with positioning, mark your holes, centerpunch them, and drill pilot holes with a 1/8" bit. Before starting to drill, spray the spot with WD40 as a cutting lubricant. This will keep the spot cool and carry away the little bits of porcelain and steel which might make the porcelain chip.

Get BRAND NEW drill bits to make these holes. You don't need the most expensive titanium coated virtually indestructible bits at the store...just a pair of black oxide bits. You need the bits to be exceptionally sharp to not chip the porcelain. Individual bits are available in any hardware store.

Follow with your larger finishing drill bit. The smaller hole limits chipping of the porcelain coating.

I installed a nomex rim sealing gasket around the lip on the bottom kettle half before installing my bracket. The gasket does change the relationship between the grill and lid, so be aware of this if you choose to do it as well.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 08:13:38 AM by RobInHell »

Snyperx

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 10:16:07 AM »
Did you read the directions...?

I did, but still was looking for some pics of folks that have it mounted. After talking with Budlightf250 from Unknown BBQ I went with with a 9 o'clock mounting position if you wre facing toward the front leg. Hopefully that makes sense. Here is a pic prior to mounting.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3MalKLOu_PXMWtGSlNLVlNKZzA/view?usp=sharing