Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: refinishing stainless steel ,the hard way . for troy 1620 and others  (Read 956 times)

johnny 2 shack

• WKC Ranger
hey grill heads , wanna make your stainless ssp table as new and shinny as the rest of your grill ? here's what I'm doing . get 600 grit wet dry sand paper , a strait edge to ride your hand on ,some clamps to hold down edge (use something that won't bury a sliver deep into your hand lol) don't forget to put something between the clamps and frame of your ssp ! . I have deep scratches that run opposite the grain. sand from one edge to the other without stopping in one fluid motion .move guide as required and do a slight overlap ,try to maintain same pressure as you go . good to practice on scrap stainless if not skilled . for the kettle cut-out section I cut a piece of plywood to fit (to keep the lines straight on the narrow corners .takes a long long time , if you think sanding end grain on hard wood is hard wait till you try sanding steel ! but your patience will be rewarded ! amazing results , better than new ! inspired by troy1620 question , hope this works for you .

Troy1620

• Smokey Joe
Re: refinishing stainless steel ,the hard way . for troy 1620 and others
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 10:34:25 AM »
hey grill heads , wanna make your stainless ssp table as new and shinny as the rest of your grill ? here's what I'm doing . get 600 grit wet dry sand paper , a strait edge to ride your hand on ,some clamps to hold down edge (use something that won't bury a sliver deep into your hand lol) don't forget to put something between the clamps and frame of your ssp ! . I have deep scratches that run opposite the grain. sand from one edge to the other without stopping in one fluid motion .move guide as required and do a slight overlap ,try to maintain same pressure as you go . good to practice on scrap stainless if not skilled . for the kettle cut-out section I cut a piece of plywood to fit (to keep the lines straight on the narrow corners .takes a long long time , if you think sanding end grain on hard wood is hard wait till you try sanding steel ! but your patience will be rewarded ! amazing results , better than new ! inspired by troy1620 question , hope this works for you .
Thanks for the tip!

Sent from my SM-G928P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: refinishing stainless steel ,the hard way . for troy 1620 and others
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 01:41:12 PM »
This is the method I use to restore the SS panels. I use a flexible abrasive pad (sandpaper wrapped around a sponge) to get light but even pressure on the final grits.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791