Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Wedgewood Blue I Love You  (Read 17989 times)

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
Re: Wedgewood Blue I Love You
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2016, 01:45:21 PM »
I understand your point completely.  And I guess if it's based solely on a test run then the Canadian market and its smaller base would make sense rather than rolling it out across the entire US.  I  didn't take it as a slam @Darko.  Reality is I have a set price in mind which happens to top out around $225 for a color I really want. If the Ivory MT was offered in the States new,  I'd own one.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Wedgewood Blue I Love You
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2016, 02:28:00 PM »
I have one vintage redhead and that's enough color for me. On a semi related note, I took a look at a master touch at lowes today. I had no idea they came with a warming rack. That looked so handy!  Kettles have been dry in my area and this has me very close to plopping down the 2 bills for a master touch. All I have is a silver in the 22 size.

Yes I know I could probably just get a rack but I want a lid therm and ash catcher as well. Only thing holding me back is that damn taco handle and new damper position.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 02:29:56 PM by HoosierKettle »

TD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2016, 02:40:20 PM »
The ad I saw posted here recently for the Simpson's kettle looked like you could order direct from Weber back in the day. I think Weber should do that again. I would pay the shipping for the basic Original Kettle if it were a color I liked. We are not that crazy. I bet a lot of folks would collect multiple colors. If Weber made some in  Wedgwood Blue I'm sure Captjoe could build it into a Master Touch. Which brings me to another point, Weber treats their parts support as a warranty service only, but I'll bet you they keep track of it separately financially.
Let the buyer assume liability for their own actions. The taller leg set on the master touch is the best 22 upgrade since the One Touch cleaning system. I know Weber could sell those at a reasonable price and still make lots of money.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 02:54:46 PM by TD »

TD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2016, 02:47:31 PM »
Yeah, the classic kettle is evolving into a pos.

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2016, 03:08:37 PM »
   Now when weber put out their pizza oven a few years ago in Milwaukee or Wisconsin what was the purpose of that. If that was a test run nothing has come of it. I tried like hell to order one even had my local Ace try to order one I struck out all the way around.
   For 2016 weber put out copper and green to go with black, one of those colors could be stopped for one year to accommodate the voted on color so storage would be no worse than the coloreds they have now. To maintain interest the voted colors should be done every five to seven years. Another route would be just designate one retailer to handle this voted color.
Radio station WEFUNK 50,000 kilowatts of PFUNK power.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2016, 04:22:06 PM »
I really would like to hear from Weber regarding their reasoning for not offering colours here in North America, or even certain accessories. I sort of understand their reasons, but really... you're making them here, couldn't you at least save a few for this north american market? Is it really that inconvenient for you? Hello Weber.... Anyone answering the phone.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2016, 04:57:50 PM »
I have a suspicion that the colour mastertouch run in Canada was basically a test.  The market in Canada isn't that much different than what it is in the US.  I'm thinking that Weber was testing the market here to see how sales would do in North America.

Now, I don't have access to the numbers but from anecdotal evidence, it seems like the colours did OK. Certain areas of Canada sold better than others, but that would be expected.

From what I've read; the BBQ scene in Europe is quite different from what it is here in NA. There, most of the cooking is done by the woman of the house, and the women tend to be a bit more concerned with appearance as well as functionality.

The biggest issue though is storage. In this day and age of just in time delivery, companies do not want to hold inventory. That costs money. In North America the vast majority of grills are sold through big chains like Home Depot, Lowe's, Walmart... Those companies want simple distribution to minimize their costs. So they order a shit load of black barbecues... same SKU, easy to pick & ship. They don't want to worry about having multiple colours sitting in a warehouse and slowing things down. Weber doesn't want that either. The vast majority of consumers are happy with that.

Also, consumers tend to be fickle!  When a survey comes out, everybody says "Yeah! I'll buy that!" But when push comes to shove.... Nope! I ain't spending that kind of money!

Just look at @captjoe06 post. for an example. He posted about wanting this blue, but then didn't want to pay that price, because he can buy a used performer for much cheaper... but then; next year he might go to Montreal and buy a Mastertouch.

Now, Joe, don't take this as a knock on you. I think we're all in a similar situation, and that's the problem Weber faces. When a bunch of us on the forum state that we can buy old grills for cheap, and wouldn't spend the crazy money Weber asks for colours, but want all the fancy colours.

I hope this made some sense.

I agree with you except the part about if Weber did ok or not.  The way I see it, this Special Edition test run was more of failure than success.   Sale speaks volume. I do not know the exact stats but probably not as much as Weber hoped for as plenty of them are still for sale after a year in sale.  Secondly, I'd bet that Warranty claims are way higher than normal due to chipping and quality (uneven, orange peel in some area, lid and bowl color match issues ...etc) issues. I've had them all. I had to deal with Weber few times with my Green and the Ivory and Smoke replaced at the store. I know of others that had issues with them.  Also, I had inside info on these from BBQworld store owner and other large retailer owner regards to x color having issues on all their sales returning or getting warranty claims. Info from diff. owner about y color with issues of color and pattern changing for good after few high heat use. Take that with some grain of salt but who knows better than these top guys in retail.   

All I am saying is that end of the day when Weber compiles all the stats... more than likely they would want to just stick to Black.  Look at the new Summit charcoal or 26" or all 18". They are all black. Why risk it.  This is why I do not think Weber will offer any new or MT colors in the future.  I hope I am wrong as I like to add Blue, Gray, and Yellow MT to my collection
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 06:14:14 PM by greenweb »

TD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2016, 05:12:17 PM »
But we know they can do blue. And yellow, even if it doesn't change with heat. Their pack is insufficient. Stack to high or put something heavy on top and you get dented lids(from cook grate tabs). Hit from side and handle damages lid. Cracked porcelain from new handles? Orange peel is machine or operator error. They have done colors before. I work in high volume manufacturing too. Get the numbers! Quality takes attention to detail.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 05:17:52 PM by TD »

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2016, 05:16:35 PM »
All you guys getting your shit in a twist over a bunch of taco handled defect strewn new fangled Kettles? So you can have something you don't have to bend as far over for? Older is cooler.....just ask Harris. They look better and will last longer.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

TD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2016, 05:21:52 PM »
Yeah, It's just a little hamburger pit. Just get a black one! Do you have any colored ones? Problem is cant buy em or find em any more.

TD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2016, 05:24:31 PM »
Nothing to do but shoot the breeze on the kettle forum. Noticed you were here too. Haha

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2016, 06:08:39 PM »
All you guys getting your shit in a twist over a bunch of taco handled defect strewn new fangled Kettles? So you can have something you don't have to bend as far over for? Older is cooler.....just ask Harris. They look better and will last longer.

I know you want one in blue with taco handle.  ;D   

Back to the topic... Everyone is getting excited about blue  being offered. Keep in mind that the Blue was only offered for limited years and discontinued overseas. Do you ever wonder why Weber would axe certain color if they sold well and had no issues with producing that certain color.   As much as I want this to happen here, I am saying chances are very slim IMO.

Only possible way blue can happen is like I mentioned before.... get at least 200 members to sign up and have Weber make it for us. I think this is possible as Weber has done promo such as coke and other beer companies as mentioned.  If this is to happen at all, someone who has insider connection to Weber should bring it up to them and go from there.

Ok! I won't say anymore here. 
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 06:38:10 PM by greenweb »

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2016, 07:01:15 PM »
I have a suspicion that the colour mastertouch run in Canada was basically a test.  The market in Canada isn't that much different than what it is in the US.  I'm thinking that Weber was testing the market here to see how sales would do in North America.

Now, I don't have access to the numbers but from anecdotal evidence, it seems like the colours did OK. Certain areas of Canada sold better than others, but that would be expected.

From what I've read; the BBQ scene in Europe is quite different from what it is here in NA. There, most of the cooking is done by the woman of the house, and the women tend to be a bit more concerned with appearance as well as functionality.

The biggest issue though is storage. In this day and age of just in time delivery, companies do not want to hold inventory. That costs money. In North America the vast majority of grills are sold through big chains like Home Depot, Lowe's, Walmart... Those companies want simple distribution to minimize their costs. So they order a shit load of black barbecues... same SKU, easy to pick & ship. They don't want to worry about having multiple colours sitting in a warehouse and slowing things down. Weber doesn't want that either. The vast majority of consumers are happy with that.

Also, consumers tend to be fickle!  When a survey comes out, everybody says "Yeah! I'll buy that!" But when push comes to shove.... Nope! I ain't spending that kind of money!

Just look at @captjoe06 post. for an example. He posted about wanting this blue, but then didn't want to pay that price, because he can buy a used performer for much cheaper... but then; next year he might go to Montreal and buy a Mastertouch.

Now, Joe, don't take this as a knock on you. I think we're all in a similar situation, and that's the problem Weber faces. When a bunch of us on the forum state that we can buy old grills for cheap, and wouldn't spend the crazy money Weber asks for colours, but want all the fancy colours.

I hope this made some sense.

I agree with you except the part about if Weber did ok or not.  The way I see it, this Special Edition test run was more of failure than success.   Sale speaks volume. I do not know the exact stats but probably not as much as Weber hoped for as plenty of them are still for sale after a year in sale.  Secondly, I'd bet that Warranty claims are way higher than normal due to chipping and quality (uneven, orange peel in some area, lid and bowl color match issues ...etc) issues. I've had them all. I had to deal with Weber few times with my Green and the Ivory and Smoke replaced at the store. I know of others that had issues with them.  Also, I had inside info on these from BBQworld store owner and other large retailer owner regards to x color having issues on all their sales returning or getting warranty claims. Info from diff. owner about y color with issues of color and pattern changing for good after few high heat use. Take that with some grain of salt but who knows better than these top guys in retail.   

All I am saying is that end of the day when Weber compiles all the stats... more than likely they would want to just stick to Black.  Look at the new Summit charcoal or 26" or all 18". They are all black. Why risk it.  This is why I do not think Weber will offer any new or MT colors in the future.  I hope I am wrong as I like to add Blue, Gray, and Yellow MT to my collection
The funny thing is, I've heard different from my local dealers. Here, they were happy with sales and didn't have an issue with warranty claims. At least that's what they told me.

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2016, 07:37:37 PM »
   MrHOSS the main complaint is that we americans are getting the short end of the stick when it comes to showcasing new weber products or maintaining the old products. Case in point the portable black plastic charcoal container goes beautifully with the charcoal chimney starter, why stop making them. Now if weber is producing shoddy items it will come to bite them on the ass. I bet the euro kettles are of a better quality than the Canadian MT's.
Radio station WEFUNK 50,000 kilowatts of PFUNK power.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2016, 08:27:36 PM »
Well then you would bet wrong.