Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: SV'd and Vortexed Chicken wings  (Read 1415 times)

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
SV'd and Vortexed Chicken wings
« on: December 13, 2016, 12:19:40 PM »
I've had this faithful ol' Igloo Tag-Along cooler since I found it in a junkyard, in the trunk of an old Dodge Dart, back in the 80's I'm sure. I've used it, abused it, neglected it, butt never got rid of it. Now that SV has come along, let the resurrection begin...

I started these wings out with a healthy coating of MHGP, along with about a 1/2 stick of butter, I placed them all in an extra large ZipLok bag and draped it over the edge, forcing all the air out of the bag while submerging...

I notched the lid to clear the Anova unit...

The wings were bathed @ 150 for about 4 hours, then ice bathed. They hit CopperTop  and the Vortex. Here's what happened:

Okay, let's dive in! Sauces were served on the side... my BBQ sauce, and my Asian Hoisin Sauce.

There were none left for my lunch the next day...  :(
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 12:28:02 PM by hawgheaven »
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: SV'd and Vortexed Chicken wings
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 12:27:46 PM »
I count 30 wings on that grate and you had no leftovers?? Good man!!!
Looks great, bud!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 01:13:55 PM »
I am very intrigued.  With Sous Vide, you don't have to cook to 160-165 if you hold your temp long enough.  I'm definitely trying this.  I'm wondering where the perfect temp falls for this...with most SV'ed chicken its somewhere between 145-150,153.  Also depends on who you are serving and what color you want the meat to be...opaque or a normal white chicken color.

Very nicely done @hawgheaven!!!!!!  I'm supposed to do wings for a party Friday night so I might have to try a small batch tomorrow or Thursday to see if I want to cook this way on Friday. 
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 02:24:16 AM »
I count 30 wings on that grate and you had no leftovers?? Good man!!!
Looks great, bud!
Thanks! Yup, they were devoured... grandkids especially like them. :)
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 02:28:31 AM »
I am very intrigued.  With Sous Vide, you don't have to cook to 160-165 if you hold your temp long enough.  I'm definitely trying this.  I'm wondering where the perfect temp falls for this...with most SV'ed chicken its somewhere between 145-150,153.  Also depends on who you are serving and what color you want the meat to be...opaque or a normal white chicken color.

Very nicely done @hawgheaven!!!!!!  I'm supposed to do wings for a party Friday night so I might have to try a small batch tomorrow or Thursday to see if I want to cook this way on Friday.
Thanks! Give this method a try, it's definitely worth the effort. 150 seems to be the sweet spot, then finishing them off on the kettle. Magic!

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 02:47:48 AM »
How long after the ice bath did the wings hit the Vortex?

I do a lot of cook and holds with the Anova. I've yet to do any wings.
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2016, 02:54:46 AM »
How long after the ice bath did the wings hit the Vortex?

I do a lot of cook and holds with the Anova. I've yet to do any wings.
Not long... maybe 10-15 minutes. Usually they rest in the fridge for a couple hours, but I had hungry faces!