Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Tandoor Conversion??  (Read 3166 times)

BobG

• Smokey Joe
Tandoor Conversion??
« on: December 05, 2016, 12:18:11 PM »
Has anyone had success converting/modding their kettle to make it into a makeshift tandoor-style oven? I am attempting some chicken skewers tonight but don't have a rotisserie and would like to get them as close as possible to the tandoor style.

I was thinking of making a clay brick wall and propping up the skewers on it and surrounding it with the coals but figured I would check to see if anyone had tested this before.

I'm interested in hearing about anything that has been tried!

Thanks!

dazzo

• WKC Performer
Re: Tandoor Conversion??
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 01:07:30 PM »
I'd be interested to hear as well. I always thought it would be cool.

I've just been using tandoor spice with cut up thighs on the skewers, cooked direct over a 'strip' of KBB.

Dude, relax your chicken.

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 08:20:15 PM »
@BobG , So weird you ask this, I JUST watched a video this morning and was thinking I want one of these!..LOL  I'm thinking a WSM with a modified lid..
is this what your talking about?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YTPl6aCwYs&t=401s
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 09:21:24 PM »
really wanting to try my hand at making one with the pots... But also thinking of a lid mod for 18" WSM...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfXXamj8lV4
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 08:42:35 AM »

OK, you need another kettle    ;D

An old black 18 OT will work. I think the sweeps might come in handy. And as I think about it, a 22 will work nice as you could build a round table around the oven, and it allows for a larger oven. Legs can be shortened as needed.

You'll still need the three pots...

The smaller one sits on the charcoal grate. This is the base of the oven where the charcoal goes. Large holes, or the bottom removed since it's sitting on the grate. Block the grate around the (outside) base of the pot. The area under the charcoal grate is now an air chamber.

The next size up sits (inverted with the bottom cut off) on top of it. This is the top of the oven used for the skewers, and slapping on the naan    8)

The largest pot sits inverted in the bowl. This is the outside of the oven, and holds the insulation between it and the smaller pot. The kettle bowl holds the insulation down to the charcoal grate (the area you blocked off).

The only "problem" I see so far is that this is a dedicated setup. A brownie would look nice as it would complement the terra cotta.

Hey @Shaun you have a brownie bowl, Yes?

As an accessory for a Weber Kettle? An insulated large cone shape that sits on, or below, the cooking grate tabs? Double pots? The pots can get real heavy to move around.

I'm over thinking it. Inverted vortex under the cooking grate. Inverted pot on the cooking grate. Done.

You still need another kettle     ;)

Dude, relax your chicken.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 03:16:09 AM »
So, while this isn't a Tandoor per se, the idea is similar. Mark Hunsaker of Hunsaker Smokers has been using various types of hanging apparatus including the "meat tree" skewers, and baskets in his brand of drum smoker.
I've got a couple of his drums and do a lot of hanging with them. We cook hot and fast, the drums are tight and cook moist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSV1W23aRvM

IMO practically any drum would be a good candidate for a Tandoor style cooker. Take a look at some of the Vertical Basket videos from Steve Stone as well.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 03:18:34 AM by swamprb »
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

johnny 2 shack

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 06:14:33 AM »
awesome , like .